I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found this info on the net:
The old style (CCA) treated lumber is slowly being phased out, but will probably be available until 2010. The new style lumber treated with copper sulfate is not much better as far as fish compatibility goes, as even small amounts of Copper leaching out of the treated wood, can kill fish!

The reason for not wanting pressure treated CCA wood over a pond is the Arsenic and/or Copper in the pressure treated wood, can build up in the water by the leaching effects of rain or even heavy dew and kill the fish and probably the bacteria in the filter. In addition, some of the chemicals from the pressure treated wood may stabilize ammonia so it cannot be converted by the bacteria, or the bacteria may die off so fast that no biological treatment may be possible with the chemicals from pressure treated lumber present.

Safety First

To be safe, neither the CCA or the Copper Sulfate treated wood should be used over a pond and certainly never

in submerged applications. Both kinds should be painted with a sealant, if there is any chance the water will come in contact with the wood, this however will weather off yearly and must be redone..

Other construction materials to consider:

Man made resin composites

Redwood

Cedar

Cypress

Reaction score
Copper shouldn't kill fish except perhaps in high concentrations. Copper is used in a variety of ich and fungal medicines specifically designed for fish. It will, however kill all kinds of snails and other invertebrates, and may mess with your bacterial loads.

I would avoid treated wood in contact with my pond or located over it where rain will run off into my pond.

As said above, naturally durable woods are a better idea.

Reaction score
I bulit a bridge over my moms pond a little over a year ago, not sure what type of wood it was, cheapest at home dept and it hasnt killed off any fish.

Ask a Question