Advice on decorating my decorative pond.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shallow but large decorative pond with no fish. After a couple of years of problems with leaks and algae it is finally fully functioning and doesn't turn green on a weekly basis now I have a proper sized uv filter so it's time to decorate the bottom, hurrah!
What I had before it was sprayed with epoxy stuff (I think) was lovely iridescent tiles and I am thinking of replacing them. My other option is putting river cobbles on the bottom.
If I use river cobbles in my now, crystal clear water which I can use fountain clear products in, will the cobbles still develop algae/ moss? I don't want to go back to cleaning it all the time and at least tiles would just require a squeegee.
Any advice gratefully received.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
With no fish you have a lot of options. Algae will eventually cover anything you put on the bottom, but without fish you can use some pretty harsh chemicals to keep the algae from growing. Some people have used bleach in their ponds, in fact I used it in a bubbling aquarium I had with no fish to keep everything clean.

Reaction score
The only problem I see with stones is trying to keep it clean. Once stuff falls into the stones it is nearly impossible to get out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use peroxide it is safer and cheaper .To keep algae away and keep water clean .You can use liquid barley with peat or with out peat and that will also keep it clean .Algae killing products would work also

Ask a Question