Advice on Filter Boxes/Pumps please!

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post on here but i am impressed with the knowledge of forum members so I hope some of you will be able to advise me...

I have a 13ftx12ft pond which has koi and other fish in it, currently I have a Titan 5500 pump, a Hozelok Cyprio filter box with an A Hozelok Vorton 4000 added in a bid to help.

For the past couple of years we haven't been able to get the water clear..the fish are thriving but it is so annoying that we can't fully enjoy the pond. We have had it crystal clear in the past so we are at a loss to know what the problem is.

We were thinking that our current filter box/pond pump might not be strong enough - if so what do people suggest we advance to?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Pete :lol:

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post on here but i am impressed with the knowledge of forum members so I hope some of you will be able to advise me...

I have a 13ftx12ft pond which has koi and other fish in it, currently I have a Titan 5500 pump, a Hozelok Cyprio filter box with an A Hozelok Vorton 4000 added in a bid to help.

For the past couple of years we haven't been able to get the water clear..the fish are thriving but it is so annoying that we can't fully enjoy the pond. We have had it crystal clear in the past so we are at a loss to know what the problem is.

We were thinking that our current filter box/pond pump might not be strong enough - if so what do people suggest we advance to?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Pete :lol:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
is the water green, brown, lots of small floating debris? more details please if you want an educated answer....or a pic can say a 1000 words...pond,water, filter setup

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
is the water green, brown, lots of small floating debris? more details please if you want an educated answer....or a pic can say a 1000 words...pond,water, filter setup

Reaction score
Hi koiguy,
The water is green..the filter box is next to the pond (it was in shed seven foot away, but we moved it closer in bid to improve things), there is no floating debris. We can see perhaps two inches down and that's about it. The pond hasn't got much shade either in case that's a contrbutory factor?
Will try and upload some pictures to give you an idea later on.

Thanks for now though!

Reaction score
Hi koiguy,
The water is green..the filter box is next to the pond (it was in shed seven foot away, but we moved it closer in bid to improve things), there is no floating debris. We can see perhaps two inches down and that's about it. The pond hasn't got much shade either in case that's a contrbutory factor?
Will try and upload some pictures to give you an idea later on.

Thanks for now though!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum .. Pete
How big would you say your filter is
And How many gal do you think your pond is

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum .. Pete
How big would you say your filter is
And How many gal do you think your pond is

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
have you considered a U.V clarifier/ sterilzer? they will eliminate green water, if your water parameters are good and you have plenty of surface plant coverage but still cant ever get rid of the green water, the U.V may be the ticket for you... i know the full sun dilemna myself. usually the green water passes with time, but if its a losing battle..do what youve got to do. good water parameters meens your filter is probably at least close to adequate, but you can never over filter........take a look at some of our DIY designs in the top of the DIY section. i have a U.V but i run it 7 - 10 days each spring thats it...i let my water go green turn on the U.V clear up the water and turn it off for the season.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
have you considered a U.V clarifier/ sterilzer? they will eliminate green water, if your water parameters are good and you have plenty of surface plant coverage but still cant ever get rid of the green water, the U.V may be the ticket for you... i know the full sun dilemna myself. usually the green water passes with time, but if its a losing battle..do what youve got to do. good water parameters meens your filter is probably at least close to adequate, but you can never over filter........take a look at some of our DIY designs in the top of the DIY section. i have a U.V but i run it 7 - 10 days each spring thats it...i let my water go green turn on the U.V clear up the water and turn it off for the season.

Reaction score
Dr Case

The pond is about 8000 litres (not sure what that converts to, sorry), and the filter is supposed to match our Titan pond pump which has a 5500 capacity...i'm beginning to think that isn't sufficent hence original post!

Koiguy,
We haven't got a lot of plant coverage...but wehave got two UV lights with the Cypio and Vorton which we were advised would be sufficent. What is a UV clarifier/sterilizer? I will take a look at the DIY designs section as well though.

Reaction score
Dr Case

The pond is about 8000 litres (not sure what that converts to, sorry), and the filter is supposed to match our Titan pond pump which has a 5500 capacity...i'm beginning to think that isn't sufficent hence original post!

Koiguy,
We haven't got a lot of plant coverage...but wehave got two UV lights with the Cypio and Vorton which we were advised would be sufficent. What is a UV clarifier/sterilizer? I will take a look at the DIY designs section as well though.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Lol :lol: no comprende
I new i should have paid attention at school

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Lol :lol: no comprende
I new i should have paid attention at school

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Koiguy,
We haven't got a lot of plant coverage...but wehave got two UV lights with the Cypio and Vorton which we were advised would be sufficent. What is a UV clarifier/sterilizer? I will take a look at the DIY designs section as well though.[/quote]

well, you've already got the U.Vs ....then have you ever replaced the bulbs? and definately check out the DIY filters
if you run your U.Vs full time.you should replace the bulbs yearly.

Ask a Question