Advice on how to glue pond liner to rocks

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone
I have built a frog pond incorporating some naturally placed sandstone boulders as part of the edge of the pond.
I would like to leave as much of the boulders exposed as possible and am looking for advice on how I could attach or “glue” the liner to the sides of the boulders as close to the water line as possible. It won’t be weight bearing it’s just to stop water getting under the lining and to tidy up the edge

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What type of liner? Maybe an exterior construction adhesive. Boulder will need to be cleaned where adhesive is applied.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1636216961552.gif
@Jo595
Not a very strong liner to work with are some other words for @brokensword 's comment of ruh roh :)

1636217079005.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree about the lack of durability of a PVC liner.
I experienced this when I was a newbie at this.
It was horrible. It sprung a bad leak in the middle of winter. I was adding 300 gallons of water every week until Spring arrived when I was able to change the liner to 45 mil EPDM.

Anyway, if I were to attempt what you want, I would do this...
Thoroughly clean the boulder. Run a bead of PL-S30 to stick the liner to the rock. Then I would use a strip of either wood or stainless steel over it and fasten that by drilling holes through it and the liner into the boulder. A wood strip might look better, be cheaper and more readily available.
You can stain and polyurethane the wood to make it less noticeable and more durable.

I would use a hammer drill (rotary hammer) to drill the holes into the rock and use plastic (Rawl) bantam plugs as anchors. I would use #10 stainless steel sheet metal screws and fender washers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My advice - don't. There are many ways to edge a pond to make it appear that those natural rocks are part of the whole build and still build it so it holds water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Try to not glue or put too many heavy rocks etc on the liner, put a piece of something between the rock and the liner. That is not a real tough liner.

Ask a Question