Advice on plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have got a raised pond 6ft x 4ft 16.5 inches (40 cm) high = 138 Gallons (629 Litres) and would like to know what would be the best plants to have ?
do they need to go into baskets into the pond ? are there any online sites in the uk to supply plants etc or is it best to go to a plant centre thanks for your help and advice
IMG_20190803_165822_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just about any Taro....aka Elephant Ear loves being in the water..... also any kind of lilies, dwarf cannas prosper in direct water, no soil, and in my area in the US.....zone 7A they survive the winter and come back every year. I would use baskets because some especially the Taro can be very invasive

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a similar raised pond. I use the tight net floating plant baskets. They work great for my parrots feather and forget-me-not plant. Both plants survive the winter here in Northeast Ohio.

Laguna Floating Plant Basket

Screenshot_20190803-144335_Chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
many thanks for all your help and advice , when chooseing plants is it best to keep water lillys away from water movement eg pumps ,
at the moment i am still looking for a solar pump that will operate at least 2 water features i was guided towards 2 pumps on another thread but we cant have electric in the garden , how many plants can we have in the pond can you over do it with plants as we would like to have some goldfish if possible . thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
how many plants can we have in the pond can you over do it with plants as we would like to have some goldfish if possible . thanks
I have a ton of plants, the fish love it. The fish just need room to be able to swim through them. Not the best pic, early am
To the left are around 13 plus lilies to the right the "clear" water is the hornwort, a forest of it. Also plants all along the edge of the pond on both sides. Everything is in pots except some stuff to the far left, iris and a rush. I just cut and remove when they get to big.
pond2.JPG

Ask a Question