Advice on Pond project

Reaction score
I have a flowing well in my backyard and wanted to utilize the water for a pond. The size of the pond will be about 15'x15'x3'. The well flows 51 degree water at a rate of about 3-5 gallons per minute. I am going to build stream from the well source that empties into the pond and another stream for exit so there will be constant fresh water for the pond. Hopefully eliminating a need for a filter. I wanted to house koi in the pond but am worried about water quality. Is the constant supply of fresh water good for the fish? The ponds water will be completely recycled at least once a day. We do have iron in our water but it's not high enough to require an iron filter for drinking. I am going to do a ph test to see what it is out of the well. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
how will the water flow out of the pond so that the new water replaces it, without overflowing everything, including your fish? You're basically saying that 2-3 gallons will need to flow out every minute. So where will that water go once the pond fills up?

Reaction score
The water inlet will be higher than the outlet. The outlet will also be able to flow more water than what the inlet is bringing in, thus always keeping it at a stable level. Currently I just collect the water in a small crock that is under ground and drain it out by a 4" corrugated drain to a culvert that drains storm water. I thought I might put this water to "better use" and make a nice pond that always receives fresh water. Do you have any idea on how the fish would react to constant underground spring water, or should I not even worry about it?

Thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
51* is a bit cold for a constant temp.. its borderline "stop feeding" temp, as their digestive systems will be working slow at that temp and can bind them up and cause some serious problems leading to loss of life. and at the rate of flow you speak of the water wont have time to warm up much if any... you would have to be able to regulate its flow as temperatures dictate. but it would be nice in the higher summer temps to keep the pond at a more comfortable temp for your fish once youve got the adjustments under control.....you might want to go to your user cp and post your location..it helps us help you!!

Reaction score
i can't speak for your water quality. You can buy water test kits online that will give you info on things like Ph and such.

I agree with koiguy on the 51 degrees. That won't work as a constant for koi or goldfish. But you could certainly do coldwater fresh water fish that you might find in a lake, such as sunfish, minnows...maybe a small trout--but I'm not sure if the size of the pond you're considering is big enough for these type of fish.

It's an interesting dilemma.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It does sound interesting...the water temp is the only thing you need to work out for the warmer months

Reaction score
I have a spring within my 30,000 gal. mud pond and the fish thrive. If I was to guess, you have a ph of around 8 due to underground limestone in your area. Test it and let us know what you get. I get about the same flow and temp as you in the summer and my pond stays pretty warm. Right now the pond is around 67 deg and in midsummer it was up to 85 deg. I would build it and see how things turn out. If temps are cool enough you could put trout in there. Those things are really fun to watch especially during feeding time.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I tested the water today and the PH is 7.6. I was expecting it to be a bit higher, so I am happy where it is. I'm going to go for it and start digging. I'll then see where the temp levels off. Trout were mentioned in thread and I'm interested if koi don't work out. Where would I be able to by trout fingerlings? I don't think native fish are sold without a license.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question