Advice on pump for 400 litre (105 gallons) affinity pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I am new here so excuse the in depth first message. This is our rescued Gilbert the goldfish's new home we bought yesterday (pics attached). This is a 400 litres (105 gallons) above ground pond. http://www.affinitypools.co.uk/affinit… ... cha-weave/

Sorry for the long read as I wanted to cover all bases and provide enough information.

This comes with the Blagdon 5 in 1 3000 pump filtration system, capable of moving 520 litres (137 gallons) an hour at 0.5m head it uses 10w. It has a built in UV clarifier for clear water and an led spotlight to illuminate at night. You can have a water feature connected or use the fountain, not both.

I'm told from various other sources that this is insufficient filtration for goldfish and were concerned already theres waste starting to build up on the bottom due to the lack of water movement so sediment is just settling. I have stirred the water up and the filter seems to pull stuff in if it's practically at the screen. There doesn't seem to be any draw towards it otherwise. It's slightly better with the fountain attachment off so I know this is due to the fountain head causing friction losses in the pump reducing the flow as at 0m head the flow can be 700 litres (185 gallons) per hour. More details here https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_ ... G4HvBbY5F2

Now if this is what it is like with 1 fish what is it going to be like when we get him a friend or two?

We have a couple of options, the 1st option being to get one of the wave generator type units that will circulate the water at the bottom keeping it stirred up and in theory the dirt will make its way to the filter to be removed out of the water in time?

The 2nd option is to sell the 3000 pump and filter unit and purchase the Blagdon 5 in 1 6000 pump filtration system which offers 1250 litres (330 gallons) per hour at 0.5m head or 1500 litres (396 gallons) per hour at 0m head using 26.5 watts. With this you can use a water feature and the fountain feature together if you want. More details here https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_ ... l6HvBbVR7E

The 3rd option is to sell the 3000 pump and filter unit as above and buy the Blagdon 6 in 1 9000 pump filtration system which offers 2371 litres (626 gallons) per hour at 0.5m head or 3000 litres (792 gallons) per hour at 0m head using 49.5 watts. This is the biggest all in one system they do and also has the option of connecting a waterfall in addition to the fountain feature. More details here https://www.amazon.co.uk/…/ref=cm_sw_r_ ... .6HvBbW377

I believe the Blagdon range is known as Pennington Aquagarden in the US. In the UK they all come with a 3 year warranty which is appealing.

Some may say just add another filter unit but I don't want all the maintenance and would rather an all in one system that does it all properly. Although if people say a wave generator would be sufficient then I would consider that option.

Sorry for the long post, thank you in advance for any help.

Richard.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use water from my pump to circulate water .It is a wacky set up but it works .I used a hose from my pump to pvc pipe with a clamp and drilled holes in the pvc to move water around the bottom of the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use water from my pump to circulate water .It is a wacky set up but it works .I used a hose from my pump to pvc pipe with a clamp and drilled holes in the pvc to move water around the bottom of the pond

Good idea but in theory I think this pump is underpowered, if i divert water away from the fountain yes I get a jet of water elsewhere the fountain then becomes weak and then theres less aeration.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could use a smaller pump in the water for it .I used to have mine on a smaller pump until I got the new pumps back in 2014 when I rebuilt the pond and increased it to 5000 + gallons

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @richardc1983 ! What a pretty little goldfish! And a lucky one, too to have such devoted owners.

Let's start with your statement that "this isn't enough filtration for goldfish". Honestly, I have seen goldfish living in ponds with zero filtration, zero water movement, zero aeration - they were perfectly happy and healthy. Those, however, were larger ponds with greater water volume, so it's all relative.

If you take the standard advice to turn over the water 1.5 to 2 times per hour, then your pump is slightly undersized. I'm not sure you need to double the size, but if that's the next size up, then it won't hurt. The 9000 would be way over sized, in my opinion.

What about adding a simple aeration pump with a few air stones in the bottom - is that what you mean by "wave generator"? That would help keep the debris in the water column long enough for the filter to capture it and would also add oxygenation for your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

Thank you for explaining, we are looking to add a waterfall effect also to the side of the unit which only the 9000 does and as you start adding things like that then it appears that you start losing pressure from the pump so flow rate drops etc. Indeed he came from a pond that had no filtration and the water was filthy. But we want to improve life for him.

By wave maker I mean something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Pond-S...id=1532442154&sr=8-2&keywords=pond+wave+maker

The 9000 does seem like overkill but then what if we add a few more fish etc later on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So if you did a waterfall, would you eliminate the fountain? I think you want to remember that goldfish are happy as pond fish - too much water movement might prove to be stressful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United Kingdom
So if you did a waterfall, would you eliminate the fountain? I think you want to remember that goldfish are happy as pond fish - too much water movement might prove to be stressful.

Yes quite possibly we would or we would swap it for the bell feature which is more gentle.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Richardc1983! Like lisak1 says a aerator would work well in stirring up the debris on the bottom. That is a beautiful goldfish you are giving a good life to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment it's looking like upgrading to the 9000 pump model and will divert flow across the bottom also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello and nice to meet you. Your fish is very cute it's great to see such effort go into Gilbert's care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone. So great news, the garden centre agreed to let me upgrade the pump to the 9000 model and pay the difference.

So I've put that in tonight and you can now visibly see through the window that dirt is being drawn towards the filter unit.

Ask a Question