Advice on small pond overhaul, rebuild please

Reaction score
Hi when we moved into our house we inherited a 7ftx7ft pond. It had been built by putting railway sleepers on the ground and digging down no more than half a foot making the pond one foot at deepest. We get frogs, toads, loads of newts, damsel flys and have some goldfish. Also we have Lilly's and other plants as well as blanketweed and duckweed.
I want to get rid of the sleepers and dig down and make it more wildlife friendly and want to know when would be the best time of year to do this and any other tips and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Derry

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ya know what I guess it doesn't really matter where you are I think my advice would be to do it after the warmest part of your year is over. The reason I say this is because coming out of the cold your fish and other creatures will be weak and succeptable to disease. I would not want to do anything drastic at that point. The pond will come alive and reach a sort of equilibrium and carry itself through the warmest months. After it starts to cool off I would get started. Remodeling the pond will throw the pond all out of wack for a while but should give it time to recover before it gets very cold again. This is just my thinking. Wait for other opinions.
In my opinion, deeper almost always better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Based on what dieselplower says, any time now would be a good time to get started. Here in Manchester it's starting to feel a lot more Autumnal!

Reaction score
I don't disagree with the warmer seasons having some benefits. Fish immune systems start shutting down in cold water, under 15.5C. So injury could be a problem. On the other hand the problem bacteria also diminishes in cold water. To rebuild the pond you would have to move the Goldfish into something, so a fish tank inside the house would keep them warm, get their immune system working.

So with that out of the way I'd say anytime of year would be fine. In cold weather some of the plants might be dormant, but they're pretty easy to keep alive anyways in buckets or whatever. Most don't have to actually be in water and it's best to keep them out of water to reduce risk of rot. The Duckweed is an exception of course.

Given your focus on wildlife friendly I can tell you there is an entire hobby devoted to this type of pond call a "Wildlife Pond". Lot's of great info. If you read info about Koi Ponds and Water Gardens you will get very different info, correct for those types of ponds but not for Wildlife Ponds. But of course most people keep something somewhere in between. At any rate, a Wildlife Pond starts up very slowly and goes thru a lot of changes. So because of that I don't think the time of year would matter much. Sooner the better I say.

One small suggestion is to build so the final water level in the pond is above the surrounding ground. You can still slope soil up to the edge of the pond so creatures have no problem coming and going. Just 1" above grade, or even with grade is good enough. In wet clay soil water can get under the liner and cause the liner to float up. When the water level is above grade there's enough pressure so water under the liner just comes up and spills across the ground. A floating liner isn't the end of the world, but can be an unpleasant surprise.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone for the advice, any tips on how up eradicate the ever expanding duckweed and blanketweed?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I wouldn't do it during the winter because the ground would be hard and cold! Duckweed, just scoop them out.

Reaction score
You must have very few (or very small) goldfish if you can grow duckweed in the pond, LOL. Cool weather will slow the duckweed growth. Your goldfish will grow and reproduce. I the spring, big crops of tadpoles will be competing with the goldfish for duckweed. Soon you will be missing it. It's a valuable part of the ecosystem. I believe blanketweed in the UK is what we call string algae here. This is also fish food and useful in a natural ecosystem. Both of these may help prevent the dreaded "green water."

Ask a Question