Advice on small waterfall feature

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, First post.

I am planning a small waterfall feature and would like some advice.

So some background. My location is North Carolina USA. I am planning a water fall feature in my back yard near my fire pit. My plan currently is to be relatively small and not have fish. The goal is just for some water movement and sound.

For building materials, I am fortunate to live in a location where granite is plentiful. I have amassed a fair amount of flat stones and was planning a waterfall feature between two trees but as I started some experimentation relaized there may be some complications. In my minds eye, I thought I would stack flat stones about 4 feet high in between the two trees and let the water trickle down all the stones (stacked.jpg). After putting some stones in place and using the water hose, it became apparant that the water goes everywhere in this senario.

After that exercise I thought I would change my design to basically have the water drop off the top flat stone directly into the pool below but thought that might be too loud and wouldn't look as good as water trickling down the face of many stones.

So I guess long story short should I try to make the design work trickling down the face of many stones or drop off a single or double ledge into the pond below? Using the many stone option looked like it would have difficulty containing the water. Any advice welcome. I posted some photo/ video for scale and clarity.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• stacked.jpg
    stacked.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2 rock drop.jpg
    2 rock drop.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 101
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Del! You came to the right place for help. There are many on this site who can lend a hand. I am curious about what the water flows into at the bottom. Is that a pond (liner or preformed) there? By the way, that is a very cool idea!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
run the pipe or hose up the back of all the other stones and get a hole saw bit for drill that does granite .The top stone is the only one you will have to drill a hole in .I did one like that with a stone but have since changed it since I needed 2 filters .A hammer drill is the best drill to do this with .Those pine needles will have to go away as they will cause nothing but problems when the wind and rain wash's them into where the pump is .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any chance you could drill holes thru the stones and run piping up to the top?
Thank you for the reply. I am not sure I understand your question back to me. In my post I attempted to relay my concern related to how gravity and the general flow of the water may be problematic. The photos I post are preliminary efforts where I attempted to understand how water would flow and sound prior to installing a liner or purchasing a pump. My observation was that having the water come off of just one or two stones and drop a few feet would be easier but I like the look of the close stones but believe that may be more of a challange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Del! You came to the right place for help. There are many on this site who can lend a hand. I am curious about what the water flows into at the bottom. Is that a pond (liner or preformed) there? By the way, that is a very cool idea!
The pictures shown have no liner or preformed. Since I took the photos, I have purchased a 6' x 10' 20 mil liner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
run the pipe or hose up the back of all the other stones and get a hole saw bit for drill that does granite .The top stone is the only one you will have to drill a hole in .I did one like that with a stone but have since changed it since I needed 2 filters .A hammer drill is the best drill to do this with .Those pine needles will have to go away as they will cause nothing but problems when the wind and rain wash's them into where the pump is .
thanks for the feedback. I am concerned a bit about the debris.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know I am 15 minutes to the NC border and go to NC every saturday .I have granite around here and have drilled into the flat ones for a neighbor who built a pond and pondless water feature .Here I have nothing but strong winds and rain .I have to always wait to mulch my gardens until late spring and then even hope for the best when it comes to weather

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember also that each stone has to lean a little forward and that you may need to use water fall spray foam .I used the black so it would blend in a little .You can put the foam in from the back and then use a board or something so the stones never fall forward in a wind or rain storm from force against the back of the stones .Also a board will give you access to the back if the stones ever shift .You could also use retaining wall blocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like the many stone approach, where you would dig a shallow pot or hole, so water will pool at the bottom for the pump. Then set up your pump, with a hose or pipe to desired height, and set up your stack of rock in the center of the hole. Use biggest rock's on the bottom of the pile, and work up to smaller flat ones at the top. Give it a test run, see how it sound, tweek it around as needed. Then, Mark your rock's with chalk, and take it apart. Then use the waterfall foam to glue them in place, and put it back together. I'm not sure how much thefoam will shift the rock, so I'd keep it just at the back side, near the center of the stack, so it should just tilt them down a bit.
Keep in mind, you could add flat rock's that stick out enough for small pots of plants, decorative items, maybe select chunks of crystals. You could also add shallow pools in there for bird's to bathe in. It wouldn't take much to hide a shallow bowl or basin behind some smaller its of rock. Once that is done, full the rest of the basin with larger chunks of rock to a bit below the top of the hole, add a weed barrier fabric to keep pine needles out, and hide all of that with more rock.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, First post.

I am planning a small waterfall feature and would like some advice.

So some background. My location is North Carolina USA. I am planning a water fall feature in my back yard near my fire pit. My plan currently is to be relatively small and not have fish. The goal is just for some water movement and sound.

For building materials, I am fortunate to live in a location where granite is plentiful. I have amassed a fair amount of flat stones and was planning a waterfall feature between two trees but as I started some experimentation relaized there may be some complications. In my minds eye, I thought I would stack flat stones about 4 feet high in between the two trees and let the water trickle down all the stones (stacked.jpg). After putting some stones in place and using the water hose, it became apparant that the water goes everywhere in this senario.

After that exercise I thought I would change my design to basically have the water drop off the top flat stone directly into the pool below but thought that might be too loud and wouldn't look as good as water trickling down the face of many stones.

So I guess long story short should I try to make the design work trickling down the face of many stones or drop off a single or double ledge into the pond below? Using the many stone option looked like it would have difficulty containing the water. Any advice welcome. I posted some photo/ video for scale and clarity.

Thanks in advance
Wow, very responsive forum. Thanks for the help. Any guidance on this water fall foam. Best place to purchase, amount for my projects, other products they may work as well or better?

Regards

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Many times, when attempting to build a waterfall, it's a trial and error endeavor. The first build isn't always the last. So, it's great what you are doing by experimenting with the hose.

That being said, it's a good idea to start with a liner that is concave shaped and pitched toward the pond. This way you're forming a base that won't allow water to escape the system between or around the stones. Then stack your stones on that. Instead of one big straight pile, step them back as you get higher. For stability, don't just stack them straight on top of each other, build them staggered on top of each other like a brick wall. As you stack them, have them all pitched toward the pond.
Good luck and keep us posted...

Ask a Question