Advice on using waterproof mortar / cement

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm looking fo advice on a specific detail in my stream/gravel filter/pond project. You can see the project to date HERE

The pond and gravel filter are more or less complete - I'm now starting work on the stream. As you will see from the images and text I posted on the above link, the water is delivered to the gravel filter via a small pre-formed pond I have embedded in the gravel. The surface of this "catch pond" is elevated a few inches above the level of the bog filter, so it can deliver water by gravity via the distribution pipes under the gravel.

The problem I am now facing is how to deliver the stream to the pond without putting weight on the edge of the liner or the edge of the pre-formed pond.

I have some nice strip of white marble, and my idea is to make a sort of chute, the end of which would protrude over the catch pond rather like a low diving board. The question then is, how to fix and support the stream side of this construction, and how to deliver the stream to that.

So - after that complicated exposition, here are my questions:

1. Could is set the stream side of my marble chute in waterproof cement / mortar and would such mortar put anything harmful into the pond water? (I'm not intending to keep fish)

2. Would it be OK (or necessary) to lay that mortar on waterproof liner - could I just lay ordinary mortar on liner and put the marble slabs on top?

3. Could I use just normal soft and and cement mortar layed on liner? Again - is there any risk of polluting the posnd water? Should I leave it for a while after it has set before letting water into the stream?

Any and all advice welcomed - thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
On a similar point -I have a nice outdoor ceramic tile in the overspill point of the bog filter that make a nice waterfall lip - but it is currently loose laid and much of the water goes under and around it. - would it be effective to put that on a ned of mortar, or would I be best to use aquarium grade silicone?

Ask a Question