Advice please, Leaking Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and Help, I have had my pond close to 6 years with no major issues and I guess I have been learning and correcting as I go.

In July I replaced my 6500 Jebao Pump to a new Jebao 6500 after it was beginning to fail. All fine until about 3 weeks ago when we woke up to a half empty pond, we refilled, I cleaned the sponges in the Hozelock 1349 Eco Power filter, by that night it was emptying again. The water seeping out of the top corner of the box.. I cleaned out the filter box fully and the water outlets.
2-3 weeks on, its almost empty again, I clean the sponges, all fine for 24 hrs and then emptying again. I have no idea why the water keeps leaking so I left it switched off over night.
I spent last night hunting online for suggestions, I figured, potentially that the Filter box may need lifting as the floor in the wooden shed where it is stored is soaked from all the episodes of water leaks and may have bowed.
This morning, after the pump has been off all night, the water has lost more than half over night again... :sneaky:
The lining and the box possibly, I have absolutely no idea. I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Kath
ps photos attached below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C5F94BFA-55B7-4B02-9A7F-54F3F5BCE3E0.jpeg
8376D9B0-5097-4BD8-86BF-C977834E07D5.jpeg
691921EC-8913-4A71-A1B9-CD6B106EA5DB.jpeg
3B076EA7-3639-464F-A070-58DD3D455419.jpeg
1956891B-BFEF-4BDA-92F5-CB310CD6FBAC.jpeg
70F6B515-E829-444A-8290-87538234FBCC.jpeg
5D6D2B5B-6137-408D-A75D-FA6D27478D4A.jpeg
A0FE214B-280D-4283-91E4-99B444656365.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If the water is still disappearing with the pump turned off, then you have a leak in the pond itself. The water will stop going down once it gets below the leak, so check at the level where it stops going down for tears or holes.

Is this a one piece liner or do you have seams? Is it 45 mil EPDM? Any reason to think there might have been something in the pond that could puncture the liner? Or any burrowing animals in the vicinity that might have chewed through? It's very unusual for a good pond liner to start leaking on it's own after 6 years with no puncturing or tearing events... rock falling in, animal getting in and clawing it's way out, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the welcomes and hello :)
Incredibly we lifted the filter up a little and the water hasn’t dropped all day.. will check the level again before bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the water is still disappearing with the pump turned off, then you have a leak in the pond itself. The water will stop going down once it gets below the leak, so check at the level where it stops going down for tears or holes.

Is this a one piece liner or do you have seams? Is it 45 mil EPDM? Any reason to think there might have been something in the pond that could puncture the liner? Or any burrowing animals in the vicinity that might have chewed through? It's very unusual for a good pond liner to start leaking on it's own after 6 years with no puncturing or tearing events... rock falling in, animal getting in and clawing it's way out, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I don’t know anything about the liner as the pond came with our house purchase 6 years ago. After refilling it earlier today, no water has been lost. I don’t understand why it’s mainly happening at night... will keep a close eye tonight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pond hasn’t lost any water for days, but today the black box is losing water again. Half the pond emptied again!! ‍♀️
I just dont get it... maybe we should get a new filter box?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you find any place that is real wet? With that much water loss it must be really wet somewhere.
In the shed where the black filter box, my husband said it’s pouring out of the corner again. It only does it every few days/weeks. It’s strangely intermittent... the Filter box has been in situ for 6+ years and the pump we used for 5 years and when we renewed we had the same size pump... I don’t understand why it would spill over intermittently ‍♀️

Ask a Question