Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I’m new, so please forgive my terminologies!! – We have been in our current house for around a year, its an old property circa 1880, at the bottom of our garden we have a pond basin with a small bridge which the water flows under into a longer channel along the side of the garden. We don’t have any fish in the pond. I think the pond would originally have been a field ditch many years ago flowing through all the gardens on our street, however as time has progressed, our property is now the only one with a visible pond. Essentially, we have a pipe that comes into our garden at the basin and then at the end of the channel there is an outlet pipe. Everything was fine when we moved in the pond would fill naturally from rain and the inlet pipe (We still don’t know where the source of the inlet pipe is, but the water is pretty crystal clear and there are plenty of tadpoles and frogs living in the pond). The nightmare began at around Christmas when the pond started to overflow, flooded our garden and then the water was running over the sides into our neighbours garden at the outlet end. We had a drain person come out and it was found the pipe from the outlet in our neighbours garden was blocked or collapsed. At great expense out neighbour dug up their garden and installed a new pipe through their garden which feeds now feeds our outlet into the street drain on their street. The problem we have now is that the new drain works and does not flood, however the height of the outlet is much higher than the old outlet pipe meaning the water depth is now quite deep. We have young children. I have been working building up the embankments with rocks and my plan is to try to raise the bed height of the pond with drainage stones, to thus reduce the water depth and make the water flow into the new outlet pipe. Would this work? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. We did have a man come and investigate installing pump on a float but he said it would be very expensive to run and the electricity source would have to go quite a long way from the house.

Many Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I would think putting stones in the pond would do what you want, the water would be shallow. Building up the embankment would help it flow out the pipe. The frogs tads etc would still have a shallow pond to live in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I am reading this correctly the over flow is fixed the water level increased but is ok. The only issue I s with young children. FOR THE COST OF THE ROCK YOUR TALKING ABOUT BUYING And THE SOUND OF THE SIZE OF THE POND IT would probably cheaper to fence in around th we pond. Sorry for caps a typest I am not. Can you fill in the pond yes but it takes less the 4 inches for a grown man to drown so how shallow is safe

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1596571423554.gif
@Duncan

Ask a Question