Advice re: Water Feature Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I would start by draining the pond, you might be surprised at what you find. Nothing in there to harm you, use a sump pump or start a hose up and stick it in the bottom, then turn the water off and take off faucet, let it drain.
Agreed, this will give you the most info, you can then just use a flashlight to look around and then you don't have to worry about dirty water or mosquitoes.

Regarding fish, maybe stick a thermometer in there before you drain it and see what your overnight and mid-day temps are with no shade and no plants, that'll give you the worst case scenario.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Like addy said; drain, especially with no fish. If it all seems too complicated/hidden, I'd just get a new pump (shouldn't be that expensive as your system is on the smaller size), and a new hose--which you can route under your rocks and work an exit for the falls. Moving this bit of rock might also answer a couple of questions regarding where the pump is. You will have to work out the electrical, though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think she got confused because I mentioned my pump is in a pump bag. I surely hope multiple pond professionals wouldn't miss a submerged pump in a bag!
nah not confused some professionals are not that professional, miss the obvious.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So…update.
They’re here right now and are saying this is not even the right pump for this. He brought a submersible pump with him, but is now saying he can’t reinstall that on this setup because the same thing will happen (debris? Or something….pond lingo) to trip the circuit again soon thereafter.

There’s a black tube attached to the pump and it just goes up to the waterfall open-ended to have the water come out that end.

No filter.

This was built by a large pool company in town. I find it hard to believe it was built so shabbily.

But apparently (and I’ll get more details from the owner when he calls) — I essentially have two options. I can put a new pump in some “skimmer box” (?) or I can rebuild this.

FB64311E-3D40-492E-919A-2EA6ADE134E6.jpeg

4BC29A8F-C4C9-4211-9DB8-213131B3DA8B.jpeg

6C92F0AF-32EB-430F-932E-826E66D2221D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is the website foe the timer vs remote, see what model you have.

Thank you for this.
Mine is HRFT01a.
I think she got confused because I mentioned my pump is in a pump bag. I surely hope multiple pond professionals wouldn't miss a submerged pump in a bag!
Multiple professionals felt all around the ednges into the water, and even under the waterfall rocks. The actual pump was sitting smack dab in the center at the very bottom of the pond. With the murky water (and I don’t know how much “stuff” was sitting in top of it since I went back out when almost all of the water had been drained out), nobody could have spotted it.

But I am no doubt easily confused too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but is now saying he can’t reinstall that on this setup because the same thing will happen (debris? Or something….pond lingo)
Basically the pump will suck in debris again and fail. You could add a prefilter,
like this ,https://smile.amazon.com/Matala-USA-Core-Pump-Pre-Filter/dp/B005TI44KU/ref=sr_1_49?crid=1FJ8O0EGELWDE&dchild=1&keywords=matala+pond+filter&qid=1627516563&sprefix=matala,aps,201&sr=8-49 so the water going into the pump is filtered. You would want the filter reachable, so you can pull it out to rinse it off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If i am not mistaken that pump does not have a pipe for an intake neither male or female. I believe two milk crates will probably do the job. or in my case i used an aquablock . and made a box out of in this case the milk crate then use zip ties to cut sections to close up around the pump. but it will not stop all that much from building up around the pump it will just keep heavy debris and fish from getting sucked in

Ask a Question