Advice required on moving koi from old to new pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I live in the uk south east and have a small 1000 litre pond with 3 Koi and a few goldfish, the pond is raised and we have had the fish for about 12 year s, due to an extension we need to move the pond and are planning to build a new one. My question is what is the best way to move fish, would we be better to move the existing filter and get it up and running in the new pond before moving fish and if we do that could we get away with a small pump in the existing pond whilst the new pond gets up to speed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

With an existing pond, I would consider making the move rather quickly - once you've built the new pond, move as much of the old pond water as possible along the existing filter and move the fish, all in one fell swoop. You can pump the old pond down pretty low before you need to get the fish out. If you need to add more water to the new pond, add a dechlorinating product, if chlorine is a problem.

Hopefully the new pond will be bigger - you're under 300 US gallons with three koi - that's no where near enough water. How old are your koi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I made a mistake with the pond calculations, just checked with my hubby and apparently the current pond is 800 gallons so a bit bigger than 1000 litres. Our Koi are about 12 years old

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Build your new, like @Lisak1 mentions and use the old pond water in the new pond.
would we be better to move the existing filter and get it up and running in the new pond before moving fish and if we do that could we get away with a small pump in the existing pond whilst the new pond gets up to speed.
The old filter would get the new pond up and running pretty fast. If you can, I would do like @Lisak1 stated, do a move with the filter, the old pond water, pumped into the new pond, move the fish, you will have the old water the old filter with the good bacteria. Your new pond should be up to speed pretty quick, but test the water until you are sure all is good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1567382526359.gif
@Swallowtail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I did the same, moved he fish and filter to the new pond and had no issues. I found after 2 months i have not even had an algae problem that you get with a new pond.

Ask a Question