Advice: transporting large stock tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a large stock tank for my pond instead of a liner. I need your advice on how to transport it. I live in the city and none of my friends own trucks or large vehicles, so I'll have to rent a U-Haul.

I want the Freeland 500 gallon poly-tuf stock tank. It's 7-feet in diameter and 24 inches deep. Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've never moved one of these before. Which vehicle is the best option for transportation:

1/ Pickup truck: Bed inside dimensions: 7'10" x 5'2" x 1'9" (LxWxH)
-The tank would protrude over one side and need to be secured. I like this option the most because I've driven pickups before and feel somewhat comfortable with them, although it makes me nervous that the tank will be sitting at a diagonal instead of flush with the truck bed.

2/ Cargo van: Inside dimensions: 9'6" x 5'7" x 4'7" (LxWxH), Back door opening: 5'1-1/2" x 4'1-1/2" (WxH)
-Too small, right?

3/ 10 feet Truck: Inside dimensions: 9'11" x 6'4" x 6'2" (LxWxH), Deck height: 2'5" Length: 9'11, Door opening: 5'11" x 5'7" (WxH)
-Door opening too small?

4/ 15 feet Truck: Inside dimensions: 15' x 7'8" x 7'2" (LxWxH), Deck height: 2'9" Length: 12'5", Door opening: 7'3" x 6'5" (WxH)
-Is this the best/only option?

Thanks for your help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get tie downs to secure it but try not to bend it or go to fast when transporting it .I brought 1 of those big tanks with the metal cage around it in my poor little sport trac with the bed extender .I tied it down and use a blanket to cushion it .I did not want to scratch my truck .Plus I had to go slow even though I put 4 tie downs on it .If you buy tie downs it will save you a headache

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice! Maybe a liner would be easier! I keep going back and forth. Something to think about. Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two stock tanks, 300 and 1000 gallons. The one thing I do not like about them, it is hard to hide the edge. A liner dig down a little shelf load up some rocks, no liner seen.
I had to add a landing pad for any turtles that manage to fall in by accident, for them to be able to crawl back out, so they don't drown. With a liner and edge rocks they can get out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had planned for a full underground pond. I thought a stock tank would save quite a bit of money on rocks for the outer perimeter and first shelf/inner perimeter of a liner pind. (Plus carpet scraps for the bottom?)

I know searching Craigslist and other sites for freebies as well as collecting in the "wild" are options, and I've already done that for my garden. I've just never found those strategies to ever meet all of the needs for a big garden project, especially if I'm on a timeline. When I first bought my house, I bought cheap plants or collected free plants here and there over a long time.

(Note: I've never taken anything from the wild/park/etc. for my garden; just relied on online freebies or discounts.)

But as I learn more, a liner hasn't been ruled out, I guess.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All my rocks are loaners from creeks and farmers that take rocks out of their fields and stack them up with a free sign .I got some from Cherokee NC after I asked Chief Hicks if I could have some .He just said take all you want and even told me where the best spots were that were easy to get too .He also told me where egg rocks were piled up that they pulled out to make the creek run better .The rocks wash down and clog everything up .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You will find out how much easier a liner is to install as the hole does not need to be perfect ,good luck and happy pond building
Agree!

@TallGrassBigSky Just be sure to plan for a berm to go around the perimeter of your pond -- it's easy to pile up some of the removed soil and tamp it down really good. The berm will help prevent yard run-off from getting into the pond.

Ask a Question