Advise for what is about to happen!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have decided to do a preformed 7.5' x 5.5' gallon pond in my flower garden. The advise I was given at the garden center where I purchased my pond is as follows. Please tell me if this is accurate advise.

Filter Sure Clear PF 1000 with a UV light
Pump is Tidel wave 750
Will add an Air Jr aeration pump by Winter
It will have several plants added to it.
There will be varying sizes of grasses added to the outside to help give some shade to is as it will get sunlight for at least 6-7 hours a day. I live in Connecticut.
I am also going to add a small waterfall eventually.

Can I add a few fish to this pond?

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You don't mention a depth, but with those dimensions I'm guessing this pond to be between 600 (24" deep) and 900 (36" deep) which is perfect for a couple of goldfish.

Grasses around the pond will be pretty, but probably won't provide much shade. A better consideration is a water lily and/or some floating plants in the pond. Both are pretty and add both shade and hiding spots for your fish. They will also help with your water quality, as will any plant you have in your pond.

I wonder if you have considered a liner pond instead of a preform? While the preformed ponds may seem easier, they are not very forgiving on the installation - they can be a bit challenging to level and if not supported properly are prone to cracking. Any obstacle you uncover while digging - large rock, big tree root, etc - can become a big deal with a preformed pond. (You'd be amazed what people uncover while digging!). An EPDM liner conforms perfectly to the hole you dig - much simpler in my opinion. Just a thought!

I'm not up on filters and pumps and whatnot - there are others here who will be better to share opinions on the types you have mentioned.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just watch the grasses because roots will grow over the edge of the pond from them and wick water out as they grow .I would put in fat fantails this way you don't have to worry about over breeding

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I assume you have cold winters in CT. Be sure your pond is deep enough that it doesn't totally freeze. As @Lisak1, have you considered a liner pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you will need a pond heater for winter and cheapest time to buy one is in the summer off season

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. The advice was decent. Yes you can add a few small fish 3" or less. The folks here on GPF can add a lot more info but they gave you a good starting point. The thing to remember is to start slow when you start adding fish.

Ask a Question