Advise on 4" blocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Looking for advise on 16x8x4 blocks. I have a line on some of these blocks for a good price but unsure if it will work for me. I am planning on building an approximate 10'x12' pond 4' to 6' deep. The catch is that it will be on a slope and will have a 6' high section with little back fill except rocks to make it match the yard retaining walls. The blocks are notched so I can place horizontal reinforcing rods every layer. I also plan to use a liner inside the blocks so cracks do not become an issue.
. cinderblock.jpeg

Here is a photo of the area I am looking to build. The far end would be slightly above grade .
IMG_2261.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just read this. Sorry your post was missed. I have not used bricks or blocks in any of my builds. But @RobAmy
is a great stone Mason. Maybe he can help you.

I would think using the blocks with reinforcing rods would work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The blocks you show are not very good for what you are describing, even with reinforcement. I would go with a minimum for 12" in depth, the block you have are only 4" depth. I would use rebar vertically into footings. Block wire is a good idea too for a 6ft high retaining wall.

Ask a Question