Advise on adding a Sieve to a pond Set up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, New on here to get some expert advise.

Currently I have a 4" bottom drain that feeds my Easypod filter that is set so the water level in the filter is the same height as the pond (sounds Obvious). From there the water is pumped back out through a UV filter and back in to the pond.

This all works OK at the moment but i am considering a change.

I am thinking of adding a sieve inbetween the bottom drain and the Easy pod but i can't get my head round how it would work.

I guess i need the height of the sieve so that it's the same as the Pond and flows over the through the seive but then i can't see how the Easy Pod can still be gravity fed to the right amount from there?

I'm guessing I might need to set up a Pump in to the easy pod and then a pump back out?

Hopefully someone can stop my head hurting and give some advise.

Thanks!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe something similar to this.

upload_2017-11-21_12-15-52.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok Thanks Meyer. But why will the water and big gunk go through the sieve if there is an easier route through the 4" pipe?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok Thanks Meyer. But why will the water and big gunk go through the sieve if there is an easier route through the 4" pipe?

All of it won't and you do not want it to as the sieve will very quickly clog if fed directly from the bottom drain. The true purpose of a sieve is to trap those suspended solids particles that a filter and perhaps a settlement tank don't. It is secondary mechanical filtration not primary.
Do you have a settlement tank? If not. that is what I would add along with the sieve if not instead of the sieve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Again! I don't have a Settlement tank..
Is that the filter with different graded levels of filter material or is it just a tank?
It sounds like it could do the same thing as a Sieve a different way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is that the filter with different graded levels of filter material or is it just a tank?
Settlement tank is just that a tank with water coming in no screen or filter then exits. I think the rule of thumb is it should take 3 mins or more to fill

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

It is basically a tank that allows suspended solids time to settle to the bottom where they can be removed by opening a drain valve. Settlement tanks (or vortex filters as they are called by some) are a necessity if a pond incorporates a bottom drain unless time devoted to maintenance is not an issue.

Here is a general depiction of the design-
upload_2017-11-22_9-26-18.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers!
looking At that it looks like half a 100L Water Butt with some Piping would do the trick.
Is there a Minimum recommended volume or is it purely the speed that Counts?

Reaction score
All of it won't and you do not want it to as the sieve will very quickly clog if fed directly from the bottom drain. The true purpose of a sieve is to trap those suspended solids particles that a filter and perhaps a settlement tank don't. It is secondary mechanical filtration not primary.
Do you have a settlement tank? If not. that is what I would add along with the sieve if not instead of the sieve.
Although having a settlement chamber before the sieve would be an ideal setup I would have to say that is pretty rare. Most setups use a sieve instead of a settlement tank and as a primary mechanical filter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is generally accepted that the volume of a settlement chamber be at least 10% of the water flow rate through this unit. Since you have a 4" BD and the recommended flow rate for that size BD is 2500 gph then the settlement chamber should be at least 10% of 2500 or 250 gallons.
What is the capacity of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I would recommend something like the Zakki sieve and I know that Zac definitely DOES NOT recommend using a settlement chamber. The order would be BD -> Sieve -> Pump -> EasyPod.

I know lots of recently built ponds with the latest sieve technology and they don't have settlement chambers.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Both accomplish the same goal very well. Again it is a matter of how much time you have to devote to maintenance. Sieves may require daily cleaning. With a SC one just opens a valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I'm limited to the size of the SC or Sieve I can put in to the Pump house.
I would struggle with a Daily Clean also due to work commitments.
Currently I Think i could fit a second Easy pod in the Pump house and that would be almost all the floor space gone.
Unfortunately I don't have any Photo's available to post.

The Joys of hindsight!

Ask a Question