Advise on pond size and shape

Reaction score
Hi
I have a small yard and wanted to build a koi pond and originally was aiming as close to 1000 gallons as possible. .With my yard the only was to do this is have an underwater cave like section under the patio. Also going more than 30" inches down is not good because of neighbor's houses and garage foundation. I am also exhausted from digging. The max I can now have is 7 feet by 2.5 feet pond and 3 feet deep (18" below, 18" above ground level). It will be concrete with 6 inch base and walls. It obviously too small for koi and i am now thinking of goldfish. I am considering narrowing it to 2 feet so i have more patio space. Or I can shorted in to 5.5 feet. Basically one question is if 7x2 or 6x2 too narrow for goldfish?

thanks for any guidance. I am planning on a laguna like pressure filter with UV to start with. Also assume 5 or 6 fish to start.

Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and I made mine half above and half below using a double wall inside wall on top of dirt I put concrete block filled with dirt and rebar pounded down to hold them and the retaining wall block.I went rectangular

Attachments

• home 004.JPG
    home 004.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 312
  • pond black plastic 004.JPG
    pond black plastic 004.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 357
  • june 5th2013 splendors gate 027.JPG
    june 5th2013 splendors gate 027.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 327

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi Fishmeal,

Welcome to the forum! Can you post some pics of your yard so that we can see better what you are facing?

Also, you mention that you can't go more than 30" inches down because of your neighbor's house, how does he feel about a rooftop pond, and can he help you with digging?

callMeFishmeal said:
Also going more than 30" inches down is not good because of neighbor's houses and garage foundation. I am also exhausted from digging.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you leave out concrete and get a liner it could be bigger and you could save money .If you have a small pond liners are cheap .Even Northern tool sells them and if you don't mind 20 mil liner lowes has them .I just have the dirt dug out and just on the top part of my wall is 1 layer of concrete block .If I had enough dirt I would not have needed the concrete block .

Reaction score
ah... well too late for that. Concrete is poured. I think i can buy some material to place in the corners before I apply the pond paint that will round out the shape.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never had a problem with my rectangle one and it has been 11 years now .

Reaction score
callMeFishmeal said:
ah... well too late for that. Concrete is poured. I think i can buy some material to place in the corners before I apply the pond paint that will round out the shape.
I wouldnt bother. Hope all is going well. Looking forward to pictures!

Ask a Question