advise

Reaction score
:wave: all im a newie , i live in the north west england , i have a mainly above ground pond 6ft by 10ft ,depth at deepest 2 and a half foot , it has a pergolla over with material over plus a wall by the side on 1 side , the pond has been done now under 3 years i have a 8wtt uv filter with a pump and fountain, a couple of plants in basket and about 10 fish 4 gold :goldfish: and 6 koi :goldfish: , and 4 babies from last year about an inch ,.. i know i made a big mistake i did a full pond change and cleaned the filter totally about 3 weeks ago now because before i did the pond was stinking , and very pea green so me being me thought ok prob better to start again ..WRONG :nono: i know, within a 2 week i lost 1 of my koi :goldfish: .... :sad:
So u will all prob have guessed by now what my problem is already lol, YES its goin green again, in the next few weeks im hoping to introduce more planting and another filter and pump and alot more oxygenating plants,
My question is mainly as i have said i have a 8wtt uv atm CAN i put a stronger bulb in the unit without doing any damage to the unit and electrics rather than having to buy a new 1 as im on a low budget ,....i did have a pond in my old house and didnt seem to have as many problems as i seem to be havin with this 1 and that was in full :sun_smiley: ect :pissedoff: lol , i hoped id done it all write again but nope doesnt seem im going to have an easy 1 with this 1 , Do u all think that maybe its just ive not got enough plants and i need a stronger uv and bigger filter ....HELP !!!!!! my new pics 081.JPGmy new pics 082.JPGmy new pics 083.JPGmy new pics 085.JPGmy new pics 087.JPGmy new pics 099.JPGmy new pics 100.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one problem is your pond is cycling like a brand new pond since you did the clean out. It will take time to establish the bacteria etc. You need to do water test and check the levels of ammonia etc to make sure they don't get out of range.

What kind of filter do your have?

and welcome to our group
welcome-1-1-1.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you will make it slowly but surely .Once the filter builds up bacteria you should be fine .If you can get quilt batting and put it in a basket under the water coming out of your filter you will pick up all the fine stuff .I don't see any fish so you could also add peroxide to kill the algae ,not sure if it will harm your plants .I soak my quilt batting in peroxide and then let it collect all the fine stuff .You will have to clean the quilt batting often ,Do you have well water if not are you treating the city water .I see you have a filter box but what kind of media does it use and does that have the built in uv .Testing your water like addy says is important

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
like the girls said .Its going to take time to get every thing started again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome and yup it takes time...sometimes I get in a hurry for mine to be clear again too...but it will!

Ask a Question