Aeration versus water movement

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm so confused.
I guess I could just leave it at that.

Does water movement (ie an additional pump that would move water from one side of the pond to another) equal the same thing as having aerators?
I have read varying reports on water movement/aeration helps limit algae blooms and am unclear about why 1 would be better over the other.
FYI I don't have fish so it isn't for their benefit. It is strictly for algae control.

Reaction score
Many people are not aware of this so don't be surprised if people disagree with what I'm about to say... The main point of an aerator is to circulate water up to the top of the pond. Oxygen and gas exchange occurs at the surface. An aerator can bring water to the top for much less money than a water pump can.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That I've read and understand. I guess I was thinking if it was just about water movement, I could put a submersible pump with a hose that would move the water instead of an aerator which has to be housed at the surface and covered somehow.
If all I'm needing to do is prevent stratification then either should work right? I guess I thought the adding air was more for fish and water movement is more for water health so I don't have dead zones and the layering.
Also @dieselplower , I guess I'm also wanting to have a relatively calm surface if I can. Again, why I was leaning toward the pump theory than the aerator. Mostly I just don't totally understand the difference between the 2 since I don't have fish

Reaction score
I think running the water pump will be just as effective for you. It will just cost more but as you noted is easier to maintain. And yes sure you can use the pump to push water through a UV if you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Diesel is right. You mainly need to get water circulating from top to bottom. If you're waterfall spills into a deep end, that could be enough. If you have a pump on the bottom of the pond, plus your waterfall, I'd say you're fine.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No as luck would have it the waterfall is in the shallow end. I was thinking I'd run a pump from the deep end to the opposite side with a hose and put the end of the hose up near the surface so I would move water from the dead side of the deep pond to the shallow. I would be able to hit all 4 corners that way. I would end up with an X. One leg of the ex going from pump to waterfall and the other going from dead end to dead shallow end.
Is the turnover rate important since I don't have fish "1/2 the pond an hour"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Interesting question. I think if the pump moves water to the surface, it's oxygenating. Not sure though, if the surface of the pond is still and calm....I THINK you need some motion on the pond surface to exchange the O2.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the size of the pump you would need to move water to the other end. Did you get that figured out yet? You have a large volume of water and don't want it to be like spitting in the wind.

Reaction score
She said she would use a hose to get it there. A few hundred gallons per hour would be plenty. Turnover rate in a pond with no fish is not nearly as important as in a pond with fish.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I was thinking. I am breaking the surface tension with the waterfall so I think if I just move the deeper water across the pond and toward the surface it should do the same thing. And that's what I was wondering, is whether or not that turnover rate applies. I might as well match it so if I add fish at a later date I have the movement needed.

Reaction score
Even if her volume is around 5700 gallons? I think that's what I came up with in another post with her #er's. So the speed of the flow isn't an issue We are all hoping she will try fish next year and she is getting close to doing it. But no pressure.
That's what I was thinking. I am breaking the surface tension with the waterfall so I think if I just move the deeper water across the pond and toward the surface it should do the same thing. And that's what I was wondering, is whether or not that turnover rate applies. I might as well match it so if I add fish at a later date I have the movement needed.
I was gonna post something to this effect about going bigger on the pump #1 I know you have a large pond, around 5700 gallons!!!!! Lucky dog!!! #2 I didn't want to put anymore pure pressure on the fish topic. I just didn't want you to buy a small pump and then get some swimmers and need a bigger one, hence buying more pumps. But if your going fishless I will support you and your small pump.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There are ponds, and then there are ponds! Each one is different, each is unique. I took the pump out of my pond one fine fall day, and spent the next few years in pain clinics and physio.(Back injury.) The pond had no pump for several years, yet the fish stayed healthy and reproduced, the plants grew and multiplied, and all was well with the world! My point? Your pond will still BE a pond, with or without a pump, with or without an aerator, even with or without FISH! Personally, I'd seriously consider a pump somewhat larger than you think you need, since you are considering getting fish. You can always slow down the flow, but no way in HELL is a 500 gph. pump going to put out 1,000 gph! :(
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
True on all counts. And Lisa you made me giggle and Haro Haro!
Until I get a handle on this pea soup there's no reason for fish. I'd never see them.
And DP I appreciate it. I am nowhere near what I would need for turnover rate at this point. I currently have a 700 GPH pump that runs maybe 8 hours a day so I think I'm going to look into that or larger.
Haro, how did you do that without having your water turn bad? That truly is my biggest concern, having unhealthy water and up until last week when I pulled that filter, I had no concern about the color (I mean it would be nice t have crystal clear water but I wasn't freaked), but when I pulled the pump box, it stunk. Stank? Stinkered? LOL Anyway that's when I got concerned. I have my creatures drinking from that pond and I really don't want a health hazard back there.

Ask a Question