Aerator 24/7 or just at times.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased an aerator for my pond. The deepest part is 4 1/2 feet deep. I noticed in the section of the pond where it is 6000 gallons the goldfish seem not to like the aerator because of the fast movement of the water and stopped swimming around. I was wondering if I should just use it only at night and not in the day if it is not hot. I heard too much of a strong current goldfish and Koi do not like and can be stressed out by too strong a current in the pond. Anyone have any thoughts on turning off the aerator during the day or maybe have it run every 3 hours or so?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you'll find eventually your fish will love the aerator. Ours swim through it like kids running through a sprinkler. New things sometimes freak them out, but once they get used to it they'll be fine. While it may be true that fish don't appreciate "too much" current, you aren't creating "too much" with an aerator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What size air pump are you using? I can't imagine an aerator creating too much current in a pond. The folks over on Koiphen often purposely build jet systems to blast their koi with current at different times of the day because they find the fish love the strong current. Not sure about goldfish.

Probably what @Lisak1 said: They just need time to warm up to the new, scary thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wouldn't worry about it. My observation is that the fish like the bubbles.

I run mine with two air stones 24/7/365.

During the winter I keep them up, closer to the surface with a string tied to them. I don't want cold winter air being pumped down there where the fish are hibernating.

Maybe you could try raising the stone up temporarily until you feel the fish have gotten used to it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What size air pump are you using? I can't imagine an aerator creating too much current in a pond. The folks over on Koiphen often purposely build jet systems to blast their koi with current at different times of the day because they find the fish love the strong current. Not sure about goldfish.

Probably what @Lisak1 said: They just need time to warm up to the new, scary thing.
air pump for 5000 gallons.

Ask a Question