Aerator lines

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my aerator tubing from floating to the surface? Since my pond is on the small side my aerator (PondAir 2) does not have weighted lines like the bigger ones had at my home in VA....I am afraid that fishing weights would add lead to the pond...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
They make small mesh bags and you could add some stones and then tie the mesh bag to your airline. I used these mesh bags with stones to weight down extra lily tubers this past winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I use stainless steel bolts to mine. You have to see how many it takes to get the line to sink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would either swap for weighted lines or find a hardware but that fits over the line and secure them every 6” or so. Not sure with what. Maybe electrical tape. Might need a lot of nuts.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would either swap for weighted lines or find a hardware but that fits over the line and secure them every 6” or so. Not sure with what. Maybe electrical tape. Might need a lot of nuts.
Lol I meant nuts not bolts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
unfortunately they don't make weighted lines this small ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I use stainless steel bolts to mine. You have to see how many it takes to get the line to sink.
I have tried using nuts but they keep sliding down...maybe if I tie them with twine they will stay put:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
They make small mesh bags and you could add some stones and then tie the mesh bag to your airline. I used these mesh bags with stones to weight down extra lily tubers this past winter.
This is a good idea Tula...If I can't keep the nuts from moving down the line I will definitely try the mesh bags, thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
weighted lines is the way to go for a small pond like that .

then you need to reduce the 3/8" id " inside diameter " to what ever size tubing that you have you may need to use a threaded end 3/8" id then heat up the weighted tubing with boiling hot water then shove the thread into the tubing use a hose clamp to hold it together . and i assume you have 1/8" aquarium or 1/4 inch id

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I struggled with the dang aerator line for years - anchoring it with rocks, tying weights to it, etc... every time I got in the pond or stuck the net in I somehow managed to snag it an pull it loose again. Finally sprang for the weighted line - it's not cheap - and don't know why I waited so long! Never have to think about it and because it stays put it grew a lovely layer of algae so you can't even see it's there. It has enough heft to it that when I need to move it for winter, it's an easy process to get it to a shallower spot but the line still stays deep in the water.

@rubyduby by "this small" do you mean diameter of the tubing or the length?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
weighted lines is the way to go for a small pond like that .

then you need to reduce the 3/8" id " inside diameter " to what ever size tubing that you have you may need to use a threaded end 3/8" id then heat up the weighted tubing with boiling hot water then shove the thread into the tubing use a hose clamp to hold it together . and i assume you have 1/8" aquarium or 1/4 inch id

Thank you so much for this information GBBUDD...yes, I have very narrow tubing (1/4 inch outside dimension and looks to be about 3/16 inside) I will look into the info you have sent to me...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I struggled with the dang aerator line for years - anchoring it with rocks, tying weights to it, etc... every time I got in the pond or stuck the net in I somehow managed to snag it an pull it loose again. Finally sprang for the weighted line - it's not cheap - and don't know why I waited so long! Never have to think about it and because it stays put it grew a lovely layer of algae so you can't even see it's there. It has enough heft to it that when I need to move it for winter, it's an easy process to get it to a shallower spot but the line still stays deep in the water.

@rubyduby by "this small" do you mean diameter of the tubing or the length?
I will spring for it, thank you Lisak1 !

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Can you drill a hole through a rock and thread the line through that?

Ask a Question