MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought an Aquascape Pond Air 2 for our new small garden pond, and I like it. I don't feel I have to run the fountain all the time for aeration, and that makes it so much easier to see my little comets. When I was setting it up, I noticed the air pump is completed enclosed with no intake vents which kind of baffled me. I know the diaphragm pushes the air, but where does it get the air from if it is completely encased in plastic with no intake vents? I know this may be a rather naïve question, but I couldn't find an answer online, so my curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I am asking it here.
new-model-aquascape-pond-air-2-includes-2-stones-tubing-and-air-pump-with-dual-outlets-75000-8.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have the same pump (although the four outlet model) and I never even wondered! I guess I'll have to go look at mine and see if I can figure it out, too!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Obviously enough air is taken in otherwise the aerator would not function. Keep in mind that an air molecule is quite small....much smaller than a water molecule for example. The housing is not airtight so enough air is allowed in for the compressor to function correctly, but, at the same time restricting entry of any other substance that may damage the compressor.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I figured you would come up with an answer, Meyer. I guess enough gets in somewhere even though it looks sealed, otherwise it couldn't work. Thanks.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nope. Just went downstairs to double check. No felt disk...just 4 rubber feet, 4 recessed screws and the plastic base.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hmm. I have the pond air 4 and it does have that felt disc.
You could just remove the screws and view it from the inside.
I would want to know where it is located so I didn't cover the intake by mistake.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just emailed the company and asked them where the Pond Air 2 draws its air for the diaphragm. I have it sitting on a shelf under my deck. I put a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet under it, and I can't hear it at all when sitting on my deck. Carpet or not, it doesn't seem to affect the output based on watching the bubbles.

I'm not going to take it apart right now. The air can only be coming in where the feet are attached or where the 4 screws attached the base to the top or the seam where the base meets the top...but it doesn't look or sound like that.

Reaction score
From searching for the replacement diaphragms, it appears the older models ( before 2012) sucked air through the bottom,and had a small disc fitler. The newer model looks to have 2 small inlets on top of the diaphragm housing where is sucks air from inside the upper cover.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, you breathe OK in your 'sealed up' house in the dead of Winter!

lau.gif

From searching for the replacement diaphragms, it appears the older models ( before 2012) sucked air through the bottom,and had a small disc fitler. The newer model looks to have 2 small inlets on top of the diaphragm housing where is sucks air from inside the upper cover.

Right, but how does it get in through the cover when the cover has no openings? Granted, it's getting in somewhere. I just want to know where.

@MoonShadows Actually, that's an interesting question, and I think it's pretty smart that you even thought to question that property of the pump!

aww.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I gave mine to my neighbor and it had a felt disk that you had to clean or buy new .Even the laguna one has a felt disk .

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just emailed the company and asked them where the Pond Air 2 draws its air for the diaphragm.

And, drum roll, please...

e44293592f338b0b51ab6f18d82c047e.jpg

Just heard back from Aquascape.... and this is their answer...

"Thanks for contacting us. The unit doesn't have an intake vent because it is doesn't have an air tight seal on the housing. Enough air gets in to allow it to preform properly. Have a great week!"

So I guess the seam between the bottom and top allows the air to flow in.

Now, I can rest after finding the answer to this great mystery!
whew-5.png

And, all is right in the world again.......

Ask a Question