Aerator "visual noise"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone use any kind of diffusion to reduce the bubbling on the surface? If so what is effective?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the problem a 'blast' of bubbles in one area? I assume your pump does not have an air volume control. If not, perhaps hook up in-line, multiple diffusers and spread them out. Another idea is to 'vent off' some of the air before it goes into your pond but that will of course, defeat some of the benefit.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A diffuser/air stone with a finer grade will make more, but smaller bubbles ( usually the packaging will say fine, medium, or course bubbles). I have done what @sissy said, and have had several running off a single pump, spread around the pond — keeps the surface agitated, but spreads it out. Just remember that the bubbling on the surface is a good thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the sound and the look of the bubbles anyway .Just like a waterfall noise there is control of how loud .like said above it is a good thing ^

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the rubber bladders work great to restrict even out the flow . Actually there a video in my pond build below. you can buy a base that has the bladder attached.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all your replies. We have a dual aerator in a 3200 gallon pond and it just seems to bubble a lot. I guess it's perspective. I liked the look of our tranquil pond but now that we will be adding fish we hooked diffusers up. Finished pond in November, added minnows/aerator 4 weeks or so ago. Planning on adding koi soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just a thought - we don't even run our aerator during the day a good part of the year. We have it on a timer so it goes on at dusk and off at dawn. We have lots of water movement from our waterfall so the aerator is more supplement than necessity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I run mine into the aquablocks bog making sure the bacteria has all the oxygen it needs. I have the rhino 4 inch main drain with the aired bladder I never use it. I suppose I should use it at night like Lisa said . With the main drain it can really help pull waste toward the drain

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just go with the "oxygen levels drop at night" theory. When it's really hot we run it 24/7.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a thought - we don't even run our aerator during the day a good part of the year. We have it on a timer so it goes on at dusk and off at dawn. We have lots of water movement from our waterfall so the aerator is more supplement than necessity.
Thanks for the advice! I might do that. I moved them around a bit so they are more under the two water drops. Probably redundant that way but it helps and I think looks more natural.

Ask a Question