JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last year I had a pond heater in my pond. I didn't have fish in it, but wanted to help the frogs survive. It didn't work. At some point in February it died, pond froze, most of the frogs died.

This year I decided I may want to look into aerators but I don't know where to start. I don't have much of a budget for it, but I have three frogs at this point and I also plan on keeping the baby fish outdoors since I don't have room for them inside. Is there anything I should be specifically looking for, for my size pond (around 800-900g), and anything I should stay away from?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Try petco they have a 4 port one that I have had for at least 6 years now less than 30 dollars for it and it came with everything .I now have a laguna

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
box from mine

Attachments

• address rocks and petco air pump 009.JPG
    address rocks and petco air pump 009.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 329
  • address rocks and petco air pump 012.JPG
    address rocks and petco air pump 012.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 301
  • address rocks and petco air pump 011.JPG
    address rocks and petco air pump 011.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 328
  • address rocks and petco air pump 005.JPG
    address rocks and petco air pump 005.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is JB is that with an areator on your pond you will be dragging down cold air into the pond , is there anyway you can do as we do and that cover the pond with Policarbonate roofing sheets.
That way your trapping in the heat but because you havent a perfect seal then it allows for air to exchange ;)

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Dave 54 Last winter I floated my air stones just below the surface -- used pool noodles & zip-ties. My thinking was that there would be surface agitation for air exchange, but no or very little temp exchange between deep & surface water.

Of course, we don't get frozen ponds here, but it still made me feel better.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my air lines right under the pond heater and since it comes on when pond temp is low enough it seems to work here .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can't advise about brands, but when I can't decide on something, I'll go to AMAZON.COM, find a couple of items I'm interested in and read their reviews. They post bad reviews as well as positive ones. And when people say WHY they like or don't like an item, it helps me, 'cause whatever their reasons were may not apply to me.

Anyway, some things to remember:
  • aerators need to be protected from the elements -- they aren't water-proof, etc. Some people put a bucket over theirs, or build cute little houses [which is what I'll do one day......:) ]
  • the tubing going from the pump into the pond [probably] needs to be insulated in some way [places like Home Depot sell foam tubes that you wrap around pipes to insulate them -- they're pretty cheap]. Moisture will collect inside the air line [condensation] and can freeze if your temps get that low.
  • consider getting something that puts out more than what you think your need

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would like to hear what others do as well since I don't really have a budget for both a heater and aerator. I remember last year many saying an aerator was the way to go, but if its not I'll need to figure something out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What is your budget because some places sell kits of a heater and small aerator for 1 cost .I saw them on webbs and on ebay .You can get away with a really small heater like 100 watts or maybe even 50 watts ,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would like to hear what others do as well since I don't really have a budget for both a heater and aerator. I remember last year many saying an aerator was the way to go, but if its not I'll need to figure something out.
There was something that [I think it was] Addy posted about that a friend of hers was going to use -- a pond "breather." It might not fit into your budget, but it looks like it would be worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just remembered did someone post on here that had one and it froze in the pond .Not sure but i think so.I thought I saw 1 on ebay 40 watts 59 dollars for a small pond perfect

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It was just me, nobody important, lol.

I used 2 pond breathers on my pond last winter, had 6 1/2 months of ice cover, -40 temperature.
They worked the whole time and all my fish lived.
The ice cover got about 2 feet thick plus another couple of of feet of snow on top.
They're a heck of a lot cheaper to run than a heater.
I'll be using them again this year.

IMG_0451.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I read and reread there description but still can't figure out how they work .How do they pump water up to get rid of the gas

Ask a Question