Aerobic Digesters - Processing filter solids for plant fertilization

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was not for sure where to put this thread. So here I go ...

I have been looking around to see how I could utilize the mechenical filtration solid waste to create fertilizer for my terrestrial plants.

Found. Online Urban Aquaponics Manual. Talks about a very simple DIY container called an Aerobic Digestor.

There appears to be an Anaerobic Digestor as well where which, as talked about by Mr. Novak, creates an assimilatory denitrification anaerobic zone converting the solids back into Ammonia. Still not for sure how something like an anaerobic digester would be setup.

Essentially, the aerobic digestor goes through a process of mineralisation that breaks down the organics into plant nutrients.

The aerobic digestor creates a kind of compost tea. You then irrigate this tea over the bed of your terrestrial plants. The remainder sludge you put into a tumbler where it is allowed to further break down to create compost or use the sludge to feed worms in a vermiculture setup.

I'm still researching more about this.

Very interesting stuff.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Not wrong at all.

I think it is just a different way to compost.

More useful for a garden in the growing beds. From what I read, when the solids are just dumped on top of the growing beds, then the accumulation can cause some problems for the plant since it takes time for the solids to compost into a plant-ready state.

Sludge also is in the proper composted state that can be readily fed to worms, for the vermiculture growing beds. Heh, kind of interesting. The sludge is put into a little feeding trench or tube with big slits where the worms come to feed on the sludge, converting the sludge into worm castings, a plant fertilizer.

Ask a Question