Affects of Algaecide

Reaction score
or, the ~Benefits of Killing your Algae

I look after a wildlife pond at our county extension office. My MG in-service project was adding a bog on three sides of the existing pre-form. The bog has been taking off this spring and is looking good. The pump tub and spitter has been giving me some problems, not helped by life getting in the way of my ability to spend a chunk of time working on it's issues. Nor the county having the money to get a proper pump instead of a fountain pump. A fountain pump in a wildlife pond clogs constantly.

Anywhoo, I try to go by once a week and check on it. Fill up the water tank that helps keep it topped off. Pluck some free floating algae out. The tub has been doing a wonderful job of collecting most of the algae in one place. Keeps the pond body looking nice and clear. If I don't keep on top of bringing out a bucket full of algae every so often it starts dribbling over the sides.

Unsightly to somebody. Somebody put something in the pond that turned all the algae white.

Also killed all the goldfish.

Too overcast for me to tell if it also killed all the gambusia, but probably so.

Just makes me sick. One of the goldfish has been in the pond for years. A shallow, open, predator visited pond. Smart goldfish to stay away from danger. No way to survive this though.

RIP Goldfish. I buried them under a Mountain Marigold.

Ask a Question