After the fact pond shelf

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I know this is an old thread that was revived.

But, couldn't most people just lower the water level a bit, lift the liner to give you room to work, then form shelves with soil? Then, of course, lay the liner back down and refill the pond.

I have done a lot of work on my pond edges by doing this. I have reshaped the edges to look more natural (not just straight or square).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know this is an old thread that was revived.

But, couldn't most people just lower the water level a bit, lift the liner to give you room to work, then form shelves with soil? Then, of course, lay the liner back down and refill the pond.

I have done a lot of work on my pond edges by doing this. I have reshaped the edges to look more natural (not just straight or square).

Depends on your soil composition. I couldn’t get away with that with my soil unless I held it in place with some type of retaining wall.

Might also work with some layers of geo fabric.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on your soil composition. I couldn’t get away with that with my soil unless I held it in place with some type of retaining wall.

Might also work with some layers of geo fabric.
I rebuilt our pond 2 years ago, by draining it, landscaping it to form a proper beach and shelves before putting a new liner in. However the soil behind the liner has now slipped and the shelves have slipped.
I don't really want to remove the rock edging with the plants that are now growing over them.
I was wondering if I drained the pond and allowed the shelves to dry out if I could use Quick Drying Cement to reform a shelf?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I rebuilt our pond 2 years ago, by draining it, landscaping it to form a proper beach and shelves before putting a new liner in. However the soil behind the liner has now slipped and the shelves have slipped.
I don't really want to remove the rock edging with the plants that are now growing over them.
I was wondering if I drained the pond and allowed the shelves to dry out if I could use Quick Drying Cement to reform a shelf?
The cement probably wouldn't hold without a solid base. Loose soil under it will probably shift.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah. I was thinking of spreading a layer of cement over the liner to create a level shelf

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah. I was thinking of spreading a layer of cement over the liner to create a level shelf
What would hold the cement in place and/or adhere it to the liner? I can see the dried cement falling away from the sides. But, sometimes you never know until you try something!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Instead of making shelves, could you just set a couple of plastic milk crates in the pond to sit your plants on?

You could cut out a hole in one side so the fish could go in there. This way they have a place to hide and the space is not wasted. The plastic milk crate won't harm your liner.

Ask a Question