Aggressive koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just added a new comet gold fish to my koi pond only had two. They relently chased and bullied new fish all night took the new fish out of pond and isolated it hes pretty beat up i am very new to this just inherited the pond with new home not sure what to do next. Need some help/suggestions

Reaction score
Well that's terrible, I never saw that happen. You only have two koi, and they
are the culprits? Is the comet small and the koi big? Maybe they think it's
live food. You may have to keep the new guy isolated until he grows bigger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've noticed on several occasions that when I add new fish to the pond the old fish chase the new ones around for a little while but it usually settles down in a day or two. It's almost like they're trying to establish a pecking order even if the new fish are much larger than the older ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a bit confused - did you have two koi in the pond? Or two comets? Is this possibly spawning behavior? That can be relentless and appear (and actually be) quite violent.

How big is the pond? Any hiding places? How long have just these two been in the pond? A bit more info would help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 10 x 8 x 3 1\2 deep .the two fish already in there i believe one is a koi and the other is a comet goldfish they are all about the same size the new one maybe an inch shorter. I do have some plants but not many hiding places. Not sure how long they have been theee just inherited this when i bought the house in Jan. There were several other fish with them however on the day we did the walk thru when buying the house we noticed several of the fish had die and were frozen at the top of the pond these were the only two that survived we kept them in a larg tub for the rest of the winter. When weather broke i returned them to the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In my experience, koi get pretty violent when chasing a female (spawning), they might chase a new fish just to check it out, but it would be more of a following around, rather than a violent pushing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All the pushing and showing the male does, is to cause the release of the eggs so then he can fertilize them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We leave our fish alone when they are spawning. It's usually over with before we could even get anything set up to accommodate isolation. You may want to think about creating some spaces where she could hide though, just to give her a break. If she has eggs, she needs to release them. But it can be stressful. Nature is quite interesting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sounds like spawning to me. I lost a fish that way earlier this year--it's brutal and relentless. But no new fish yet this year, on the bright side. Not the way I would have elected to solve the looming overpopulation problem in my pond, but nature has its own style.

Ask a Question