a simple map of U.S hardness zones

Attachments

• usda-map_9hvw.gif
    usda-map_9hvw.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 539

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Koiguy, thanks for posting the zone map. I have seen quite a few of them now, and from zone map to zone map they seem to very some. Depending on witch one I look at I'm either in zone 7 or zone 8. They are not all the same. I'm in Tacoma, WA.

Our temps here rarely get into to the low teens, and thoughout the winter months seem to range from the 40's to the 50's average, regardless of what the zone maps indicate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they say the zone map is changing because of global warming .Stating to wonder if thats true as we have had more snow in VA the last 2 years and less snow where I used to live in NJ .so makes you wonder about that map

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
interesting 7a but says great for the east but yet problems with the west .I live up on hill and am exposed to winds and in the summer I can be in my yard and cool and I will take the dogs for a walk down on the road and be sweating and it is shaded there and protected from winds ,but hotter .I have plants here that burn up my neighbor has the same plant and it grows great .must be green thumb thing

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
sissy said:
interesting 7a but says great for the east but yet problems with the west .I live up on hill and am exposed to winds and in the summer I can be in my yard and cool and I will take the dogs for a walk down on the road and be sweating and it is shaded there and protected from winds ,but hotter .I have plants here that burn up my neighbor has the same plant and it grows great .must be green thumb thing

Soil conditions, shade, watering and nutrients make all the difference. My neighbor (who won't take any advice) cannot grow fruit.
My yard is full of trees, all producing bumper crops. In a pond, you have other variables.
Zone alone does not make for good or bad growing conditions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is true as developer of land took all the good topsoil from the lots her if it was good to start with since it was full of scrub pines .I am a vegetarian and have 2 of each kind of fruit tree that I could get when I moved here planted over 30 trees in six years and lots of shrubs .But there are some no matter what I do they won't take off .I grew up on a farm so understand some don;t like where there at and you should move them to a new place .But I have 6 varieties of magnolias and they seem to not grow much .They flower great but 5 years later and they are not much bigger .Fruit trees aren't that big but get enough fruit for me ,later probably to much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in what they call the banana belt but Live in the foothills of the cascades.
Town is about 8 miles away but I am 800 feet higher than town.
They are almost two weeks ahead of me for flower and trees blooming. I can look around me at hills that are above 1500 feet and the tops will have snow on them and we only have rain.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats true here as the flowers on the all the shrubs going to town and even the ones at the bottom of the hill I live on are at least 3 weeks ahead of me .Tammys fish pond down the hill is 10 degrees warmer than mine ,mine is 50 hers is 60 and a little above and after the deer ran down there filter and ruined some of her liner and we had to rebuild and put more water in pond it is still warmer than mine

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm also near the foothills of the Cascades only farther north than DoDad and I'm 300ft above sea level and town is about 6 miles away. We still have some piles of snow up here leftover from the recent snowfall but town which is way lower than us hasn't had any signs of the snow for a week. So one must take all considerations when planting those semi-hardy plants up here. I have learned my lesson and am sticking to the hardy, hardy ones and am not wasting my money any more :rolleyes:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I don't like annuals I hate to see the poor things die at the end of the season,Seems cruel just to watch them is sad .I have been lucky with the trees and plants I have bought only lost 3 out of hundreds of things I planted .One was a tree that got broken off in high winds .We already got 2 inches of rain by my rain gage by the pond ,never to sure how accurate they are but gives an idea anyway .

Ask a Question