Air lift pump for planter??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
I'm thinking about connecting an airlift pump from my pond to a planter that has a bottom draining hole. image.jpeg Then connect a hose to the bottom drain to go back to the pond. Has anyone tried anything like this or know of anyone that has done this successfully. The planter is shaped Iike a sideways half wine barrel with legs to hold it up. image.jpeg I also though about connecting the hose form theair lift pump to the bottom drain and getting a spigot from lowes and install it on the side for the return. Any thoughts or comments?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi , how much water u want to circulate and for what purpose ? can u keep everything below water level or submerged ? which pump u have then i can tell u if its possible , but if u raise the lift above water then it will not be efficient , if u keep system below surface then it wil b more efficient then motor pump. best is if u can manage it within just 1 inch above level then u can make it work a bit efficiently other wise u will need alot of watts to do this , instead u can use motor pump
i have airlift system at end point of 25foot stream that takes water plus air to other end delivers water to a bog then water circulates back thru stream , but i didnt raise the pipe over the water level to achieve max volume , if u have suppose 8wt aerator and u raise pipe 2 inch over the waterlevel there will be almost 70% reduction in pressure . will work if u want little quantity , with pressure chamber airlift design.

draw it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
hi , how much water u want to circulate and for what purpose ? can u keep everything below water level or submerged ? which pump u have then i can tell u if its possible , but if u raise the lift above water then it will not be efficient , if u keep system below surface then it wil b more efficient then motor pump. best is if u can manage it within just 1 inch above level then u can make it work a bit efficiently other wise u will need alot of watts to do this , instead u can use motor pump
i have airlift system at end point of 25foot stream that takes water plus air to other end delivers water to a bog then water circulates back thru stream , but i didnt raise the pipe over the water level to achieve max volume , if u have suppose 8wt aerator and u raise pipe 2 inch over the waterlevel there will be almost 70% reduction in pressure . will work if u want little quantity , with pressure chamber airlift design.

draw it
I don't need any certain amount of flow. It would just be a way of keep the soil wet and I have an extra port on my air pump that is available. I plan to have the planter sitting right beside the edge of water for a gravity return. This doesn't have to be efficient as I have other filters in place. This is just an add on that I thought I might do. Also the type of system that I want to use is the tubing method (spurts water. Might be pressure chamber design)) not the pvc method.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 of those planters and used them by my pond but not with that idea .Are you going to put plants in it to clean the water .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
I have 2 of those planters and used them by my pond but not with that idea .Are you going to put plants in it to clean the water .
Yeah. Any plants that I put in will help clean the water. But that is just a happy side effect. I just thought that I would be a good idea so I don't have to worry about remembering to water the plants. Lol.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A low flow rate will actually result in more efficient Nitrogen assimilation and oxidation by the plants and surrounding biofilm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Ok , yes try it shud work with little pressure , i have made pressure chamber from plastic coke bottle and it can lift foot or more with little volume , u need atleast 2 foot deep pipe in the water .thats good u have already running pump u can add a valve to adjust the volume of air u want . lets see how it goes .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Installed it. Have to drive to work will post more after I get there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
IMG_5512.JPG
I have the supply and drain hose concealed with the other hoses for my pond. This is the normal hide out for my frog.
IMG_5508.JPG
Supply hose connected to the side of the planter. I laid an extra piece of pvc on the top and drilled holes along the bottom. Before the pvc, the water didn't distribute very well. Now it is working great.
IMG_5511.JPG
Drain hose connected to the bottom.
IMG_5513.JPG
Looks nice. And you can't even tell it's part of the pond.

Didn't use any special connectors to connect to the planter. Just drilled holes slightly small than the tubing and pressed it through for a good seal.

Ask a Question