Air line in bog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning everyone, a quick question does anyone have an air line in their bog? if so does it benefit the bog or is it purely for how it looks i am toying with the idea of sticking an air line in there, will it have any detrimental affect on the bog ? thank you. mark

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not me but I have heard some say they have done it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do run air in my bog but only on the snorkel biological filters work best when there is no lack of 02 the same principle as the trickle filters bio balls. How ever with the bog and the stone i feel to many pockets of air can develop and be detrimental to the system thus i just have an air stone being just that my bog in 7 feet deep so the water is just churned and 02 replenished by this action again only in the snorkel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do run air in my bog but only on the snorkel biological filters work best when there is no lack of 02 the same principle as the trickle filters bio balls. How ever with the bog and the stone i feel to many pockets of air can develop and be detrimental to the system thus i just have an air stone being just that my bog in 7 feet deep so the water is just churned and 02 replenished by this action again only in the snorkel.
thank you for your reply, i think i will just leave it as it is i suppose it was just aesthetics on my part, my bog is 0nly 16 inches deep (gravel at 12 inches) and i thought some air bubbles would add to the look, also when the plants fill out i probably wont see any bubbles anyway so i will just leave as is, thank you. mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
No air in mine, but when you mentioned bubbles I thought of this...
Not air, but water bubbling...
The water level in my bog is slightly higher than the gravel. Not by much, maybe a half inch or so. But it's cool that I can see the water percolating on the surface. It percolates all over too. Not just above where the manifold pipes are. All over the bog. Pretty cool how strong the disturbance is and how it is dispersed all over.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No air in mine, but when you mentioned bubbles I thought of this...
Not air, but water bubbling...
The water level in my bog is slightly higher than the gravel. Not by much, maybe a half inch or so. But it's cool that I can see the water percolating on the surface. It percolates all over too. Not just above where the manifold pipes are. All over the bog. Pretty cool how strong the disturbance is and how it is dispersed all over.
thanks for your reply, i dont get any percolation on the surface thats why i wondered about an air line, my water is about 2-3 inches above the gravel. cheers mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
thanks for your reply, i dont get any percolation on the surface thats why i wondered about an air line, my water is about 2-3 inches above the gravel. cheers mark
Idk...maybe my pump is stronger?
The water is pumped up about 4 feet.
Pump is 3600+ gph.

Bog is approximately 14 ft. X 5 feet and 12 inches of river stone.
I have two 2 inch pvc pipes as a manifold that are each about 10 feet long. I cut slits in the manifold pipes 1-1/2 inches apart and they face up.
Maybe it's the amount of slits.

The percolation is spread evenly over the surface. This makes me happy since I'm getting what appears to be an even spread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Idk...maybe my pump is stronger?
The water is pumped up about 4 feet.
Pump is 3600+ gph.

Bog is approximately 14 ft. X 5 feet and 12 inches of river stone.
I have two 2 inch pvc pipes as a manifold that are each about 10 feet long. I cut slits in the manifold pipes 1-1/2 inches apart and they face up.
Maybe it's the amount of slits.

The percolation is spread evenly over the surface. This makes me happy since I'm getting what appears to be an even spread.
my pump is 3500lph and the water is 2-3 inch above the gravel, i also have 2 inch pvc pipe with slits cut in every i-2 inches apart but mine are facing downwards as i was advised when constructing the bog last year, i think if i remember correctly it was you who advised me during the build along with other knowledgeable members. have i got it wrong by having the slits facing down ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
my pump is 3500lph and the water is 2-3 inch above the gravel, i also have 2 inch pvc pipe with slits cut in every i-2 inches apart but mine are facing downwards as i was advised when constructing the bog last year, i think if i remember correctly it was you who advised me during the build along with other knowledgeable members. have i got it wrong by having the slits facing down ?
Facing up or down seems like a personal preference.
I don't think you can go wrong with either decision.
Some people face them down thinking the slits, if faced up, may get blocked by the gravel. Others face them up thinking if any muck does accumulate, the slits won't be buried in muck.
Addy has them down and her bog has been running for over a decade with no problems.
So, don't worry. It will be ok.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Facing up or down seems like a personal preference.
I don't think you can go wrong with either decision.
Some people face them down thinking the slits, if faced up, may get blocked by the gravel. Others face them up thinking if any muck does accumulate, the slits won't be buried in muck.
Addy has them down and her bog has been running for over a decade with no problems.
So, don't worry. It will be ok.
thanks for your reply, i had a panic on then thinking i was going to have to pull it out and make it right, im happy with the bog i just liked the idea of a bit of visible water movement thats why i asked about an airline. thank you, mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The bog is very functional while giving the impression to the unknowing layperson that it's just another garden area to grow plants.

That's one of the beauties of it. It's not a big tank with unsightly pipes and such going all over the place. It's components are hidden.

And the fact that it's practically maintenance free, which is a big plus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks for your reply, i had a panic on then thinking i was going to have to pull it out and make it right, im happy with the bog i just liked the idea of a bit of visible water movement thats why i asked about an airline. thank you, mark
I think if you had less water over your gravel, you'd probably see the perking. Too, your pump is about a quarter of the power of PJ's. But, your area and volume might be different. I'd at least add more pea gravel and make the water over top less and see if that works. Can't hurt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm always tinkering with something.

One thing I'm always messing with is the spot where the water returns from the bog to the pond. I mess with the way it looks or the way it flows.
It's only a few steps of flat stones. Not much of a waterfall.

I'll add a flat stone, or maybe take one flat stone out. Or I'll mess with the bog gravel near that spot.
Doing any of those things can raise or lower the water level of the bog. It doesn't take much to make a subtle difference.
I can go from no water above the gravel to a couple inches of water.
Sort of fine tuning the water level of the bog.

And here's the kicker, which should be obvious, but I never really thought about it...
If you raise the water level of the bog, you lower the lower the water level of your pond (or visa versa).

I was going to add water to my pond because of this, then it rained and it's now completely full.
Thank you Mother Nature!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And here's the kicker, which should be obvious, but I never really thought about it...
If you raise the water level of the bog, you lower the lower the water level of your pond (or visa versa).
lol yep! I keep mine with a bit of water over around 50% water below gravel about 50% mainly due to plant roots and growth. Keep the water fall rock clear ie no back up. Yank plants that try to grow there.

When my stream is running the pond drops by a few inches, when it turns off the water raises. Unless of course there is a stream leak.

Ask a Question