Air lines from aerator floating

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My air lines from the aerator to the air stones float and bisect the pond. This is irritating as some of the stuff that is supposed to float to the skimmer gets stopped by them. Does anyone have ideas to keep the airline from floating?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Faebinder this is one of my major pet peeves! I have my airlines tucked behind rocks, but every now and again it comes floating out and up or I get my foot or net or something else caught on it and pull it loose and then it floats until I can get back in the pond and secure it again. Like @mrsclem said - weighted line is the permanent solution but it's pricey. Why, I don't know. It seems like it would be a simple matter to simply make it heavier! When I need to replace my lines, I'm going to bite the bullet!

Second aeration pet peeve - air stones that ALWAYS land upside down when you toss them in the pond. Why aren't they bottom heavy?? I had one pond guy tell me to just secure a rock to the bottom with some rubber bands - I was like "really? Someone can't figure out how to INCLUDE WEIGHT IN THE DESIGN PROCESS?!? haha! I get rage-y about dumb stuff like this! (Don't even get me started about people who drag their junk to the curb on Friday - when trash day is Thursday. So now we all get to look at your old couch/washing machine/mattress on the curb for a WHOLE WEEK! )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I only have two airlines I'm willing to get a weighted tube if someone can point them out for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have weighted airline tubes and love them ! You should be able to get them lots of online places, where yowl for pond supplies. Mine came as part of a kit, when I bought a big aerator for summer. I don't have weighted lines for my smaller unit, I run in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Get some small fishing weights and fasten along the air tubing. They make a weighted tubing buts it about $1 per foot!
I thought fishing weights were made from lead? If so would there be negative affects on water quality and fish.

I have used glass beads with fishing line to anchor submerged plants. 2-3 depending on size works great as an anchor

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I have to tie weights on the line? With my luck they will all just slide to the bottom and knock the air stone off! haha!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought fishing weights were made from lead? If so would there be negative affects on water quality and fish.

I have used glass beads with fishing line to anchor submerged plants. 2-3 depending on size works great as an anchor

That amount of lead will not be detrimental.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use the lead strips that you buy to tie down submerged plants. They're easy to wrap around the tubing at various intervals, and they don't get caught on stuff like used to happen when I used fishing weights.

Ask a Question