Air plant happy

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I had a friend give me a handful of air plants and put me in touch with a driftwood guy. My plan is to hang a lively piece of driftwood on the wall and tuck the air plants into it, maybe in shells.
Here are a few pictures of the woods and plants and ideas I'm playing with.

These are the plants I currently have
2017-06-12 16.36.28.jpg

The piece in the center is the one I'm considering, I'd like something a bit wider and may add another piece next to it.
2017-06-13 16.16.35.jpg

I think it would be something like this when I was done
2017-06-13 19.45.37.jpg

I also have some large shells I could add to it like this
2017-06-13 20.07.08.jpg

If that piece doesn't work, I am thinking about possibly building something like this out of the driftwood planks that he has instead.
2017-06-13 19.45.08.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can't keep an aloe plant alive for the life of me

I do great with aloe - I'm skilled at ignoring indoor plants! People are always trying to give me houseplants because they think "you love gardening - you'll enjoy a houseplant!" No. No. NO. It's a death sentence for any houseplant that crosses the threshold!

@tbendl is that all your driftwood?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We were looking for a piece of driftwood to put in our pond. Happened upon a BEAUTIFUL collection at a pond store in Wisconsin somewhere. They wanted HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS! For OLD WOOD! We later learned that if you go to the Lake Michigan beaches near us after a good storm, you can find some cool pieces. We've brought home a half dozen or so cool ones over the last five years.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, this guy actually sells some of his larger pieces to his brother in law in Miami who makes furniture and stuff. They sell it for thousands. He had some pretty amazing pieces. I want a bench for the pond but might go with concrete given our rain and pretty harsh summers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love wood of any type. The plants that have survived living in my house can go without water for a few months, when we were in Arizona they had no water for almost 5 months. All survived.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nope AZ is super dry, humidity down in the teens. Here in MD horrible humid. I did not have any air plants, my house plants here, that survive me are all succulents. They look a little beat when we get back but are all alive a bit of water and they come back. They are plants I hauled from my AZ house.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've got a few friends that are going to donate some succulents to my pond. I will probably wait until next summer to add them. I'll have to bring them in in the winter and am working on changing up my sunroom to set aside some space for plants during the winter. There is always some project. :)

Ask a Question