Air pump suggestions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm in the market for a new air pump and am trying to decide between a Hakku and a Laguna 7000. The Hakku is more energy efficient and quieter than the Laguna. Does anyone have experience with either? Thanks!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hakko air pump is nice and Hakko-25L is what I use and is more than enough. It is incredibly quiet. It is right next to my patio and it is so quiet that the sounds of my fountain and stream covers up the very slight humming noise. However, the Hakko is a diaphragm air pump. Diaphragm pumps get worn out faster so then you have to replace the diaphragm when it burns up. Once a year I have to replace the diaphragm, which you can find it at PondUSA and costs around $50 (including shipping).

For my backup air pump, I got the Medo LA 45, which is a piston pump. It is noticeably louder than the Hakko, but I have used it in other projects and I have not yet had to replace any parts in it. Medo is a very durable, well-built air pump, but I found it to be noticeably louder.

I'm not familiar with the Laguna 7000.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at how much power each uses .I have a laguna and love it 12 outlets on it and 4 year warranty .The part for my pump is only around 10 dollars .To be honest if you have splashing water you will hear that and not the aerator .I only here mine when i turn off the pump to back flush my filter .You can get laguna on ebay for around 149 dollars ,but mine was less than that.Came with hose and 2 air stones .

Attachments

• new aerator april 2nd 2014 008.JPG
    new aerator april 2nd 2014 008.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 274
  • new aerator april 2nd 2014 017.JPG
    new aerator april 2nd 2014 017.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 231
  • new aerator april 2nd 2014 021.JPG
    new aerator april 2nd 2014 021.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Laguna: Kit is $184.99 which includes 2 air stones, 4 disks, silicone tubing, 50 watts, 60 db, 4 yr. warranty

Hakko: per phone call with them approx, $225 to create "kit" including above items. I need to call about warranty.
The Hakko 25 is 20 watts, 32 db
The Hakko 40 is 40 watts , 35 db

A two pack of diaphragms is $31.00 for Hakko 25 and $34.99 for a two pack for the Hakko 40.

So far, I've found AZ Ponds to have best pricing and they seem to have people who know their stuff when I call with questions.

If I go with Hakko, makes sen to have back up diaphragms as they aren't sold locally.

I was surprised they are not only quitter , but more energy efficient than Laguna. I'll check on warranties today. I have a "regular" air pump ( I'm out of town, so can't look at the brand), but am looking for something more serious for hot weather as my koi are getting big.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine on ebay and the kit straight from laguna and it was 14.99 and bought 2 of them and it includes the filters also and got the larger airstones and they were 3.99 a piece ,E-bay has the whole thing for 149 dollars for laguna but i paid less through wayfair on e-bay .Actually the laguna came with the free 12 way metal air diffuser and they have shut off valves for each one .To buy that alone it is about 30 dollars .You have to think about everything extra you may have to buy .Webbs online sells them on e-bay also .

Attachments

• new aerator april 2nd 2014 010.JPG
    new aerator april 2nd 2014 010.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 295
  • new aerator april 2nd 2014 003.JPG
    new aerator april 2nd 2014 003.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
go with the Hakko Tula and when you get the airstones go for the Japanses ceramic ones they last a lot longer than normal ones try to get the 12 tap air diffuser system the more airstones you can use the better (y)
We have them oin our filters as well as the pond , they require very little in the way of maintenance just keep an eye on the air filter pad and give it a regular clean from time to time .
by the way did you buy non return valves for your airhose as you dont want water getting into the airpump buy one for each line your going to use.
I put mine on then a few days later they paid for thereselves when the power quit on the pond during a power out .:)

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 airstones came with mine and I just bought extra and 2 check valves came with it also .Airline hose can be bought at home depot 3.95 for 25 ft but I bought the 200 ft roll as it was only 9.99 for it .I bought mine in March and so far happy with it and the water splashing would always make more noise than any aerator .Budget is always a factor in the choice also .Plus extra is that the pond store in Blairs sells the parts for it and not sure why but when I went there to pick up plants they are cheaper .2 inch air stones were 2.99 and check valves were 5.99 for 6 of them and repair kit was 9.99 .Well live and learn .I put my plants in the basement it is to hot out today to do any thing out there .I did buy some of the check valves and air stones today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ended up buying the Laguna 7000. I became frustrated trying to get information on the Hakko from AZ ponds, making sure I had all the correct pieces. I'm out of town and hubby was making many of the calls. We finally said "Enough, let's just get the Laguna kit - it comes with everything!"

I'm heading north from FL tomorrow, after being away for three weeks...so hoping it comes around the time I get home:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hakko 40L here and love it :)
I was very interested in the Hakko, but when I called to ask questions I had a poor phone connection, they said they were busy, and to write an e-mail. I did, but they never replied. Just got too frustrating.....so go the kit. It'll be an improvement over what we currently have for sure.

Reaction score
I'm sure it will work great for you :)
I was very interested in the Hakko, but when I called to ask questions I had a poor phone connection, they said they were busy, and to write an e-mail. I did, but they never replied. Just got too frustrating.....so go the kit. It'll be an improvement over what we currently have for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, good news!

AZ ponds finally responded to my e-mail about the Hakko. I explained I'd given up waiting on hearing from them and had doddered the Laguna. It was set to ship today and they agreed the Hakko was better for my needs, they swapped it out and it ships to me tomorrow!

I'm pleased and told them so.....they said they like happy customers, and apologized for their delay....said they've been just swamped lately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hakko 40L here and love it :)

How big is your pond? My Hakko 40 arrived today and boy is that thing powerful!! My 1700 gallon pond water is roiling , the lilies have been blasted to the sides of the pond and the fish are spooked?

There is no question is puts off lots of oxygen, no worries there. I'm wondering if I should have purchased the smaller model, or if I could diffuse it some how?

Reaction score
Same size as yours I put a brass valve inline to reduce
How big is your pond? My Hakko 40 arrived today and boy is that thing powerful!! My 1700 gallon pond water is roiling , the lilies have been blasted to the sides of the pond and the fish are spooked?

There is no question is puts off lots of oxygen, no worries there. I'm wondering if I should have purchased the smaller model, or if I could diffuse it some how?
ut

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Same size as yours I put a brass valve inline to reduce

Yep, that's what I did.

Just be sure you do not put too much back pressure on the air pump since the back pressure will create heat and wear out the diaphragm faster. The way I approached it was....
1) only turn ON all valves that open air for your air diffusers and keep the inline bypass valve OFF.
2) adjust the air diffuser valves down so you have an agreeable balance of air going out of the diffusers.
3) slowly open the bypass valve to reduce the volume of air released out of the air diffusers.

For the excess air being released out of the bypass valve, I connected a 1/4" air tube to it and then installed this air tube to release the excess air into my bio-filter or you can have it going anywhere you want.

Ask a Question