Air stone/diffuser question

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For those of you who use an [external] air pump for pond aeration, if you are using a 1/2” tubing set-up, what air stone/diffuser do you use?

I have a Pondmaster AP-20. It has a 1/2” outflow, but comes with a manifold attachment with 6 nipples that you can attach regular aquarium tubing & airstones. I have been using the manifold and running an assortment of smaller airstones into the pond. I want to switch to using the larger tubing....but not sure what air stones are good to use for this size.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Following this post - upgrading my aeration is high on my list of things to do this summer! We currently have the four airstone Aquascape aerator. It's OK, but I think we can do better.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Following this post - upgrading my aeration is high on my list of things to do this summer! We currently have the four airstone Aquascape aerator. It's OK, but I think we can do better.
I was just tired of having the individual aquarium-sized tubings and the myriad air stones down there! I was getting good aeration, and I think that being able to “customize” the location of each air stone was a plus.... But time to try something different. And if I don’t like it, I still have the option of going back to the smaller tubing and smaller stones.

This is what I have now.
EB5F1448-5BA9-49D7-BC0A-D3A5139B4A60.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm looking at this one for my pond. Webb's online is having an Easter sale of 15% off all merchandise. https://webbsonline.com/Item/Matala-Air-Diffusers-99998

You fill it w/gravel or sand, I'd use gravel to hold it down on the pond bottom.
Said on another site that it comes w/ a friendly multi-barb that will allow connection to various sizes of air hose including 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 1". Kinda pricey at $69. but a bit over $10. off w/the code ESTR used at checkout.

99998.jpg

Here it is in action using different air pump sizes in the video.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok forget the ESTR code on that diffuser cuz that product is excluded from the discount. I did get to use my saved up pond points tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm looking at this one for my pond. Webb's online is having an Easter sale of 15% off all merchandise. https://webbsonline.com/Item/Matala-Air-Diffusers-99998

You fill it w/gravel or sand, I'd use gravel to hold it down on the pond bottom.
Said on another site that it comes w/ a friendly multi-barb that will allow connection to various sizes of air hose including 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" and 1". Kinda pricey at $69. but a bit over $10. off w/the code ESTR used at checkout.

99998.jpg

Here it is in action using different air pump sizes in the video.
I have this exact diffuser and love it! I use a heavy weighted tubing with it. I also have the Pondmaster AP - 20. I use it in the winter and early spring, then use the other for the summer. I don't use my Pondmaster with that diffuser though, not sure it would work. I have a 40 lpm air pump I use the bigger diffuser with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oops @Tula mine is an AP-40

I would think so, is there a product specification area on the site? It just happened that my bigger air pump is also a Matala.

I got so tired of replacing smaller airstones, this one stays put and can be cleaned and stored for the next season :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Tula I found the info I needed and yep it checks out plus I called Webbs online and asked the tech and he said it would be fine. As for an AP-20 I think that one doesn't have enough oomph to do the job w/the diffuser. Now I checked on that sinking tubing and boy that stuff is pricey! Most places want you to buy so much of it. I think when I receive the diffuser I will just put some gravel in it and call it good!
Oh and how do you clean yours and store it? I saw something about bleaching it somewhere.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , @Mmathis I have been using this since beginning of winter. Works very nice, kept a very large hole open in the ice too. I really like the tubing, it is heavy and stays where you put it.

Airmax KoiAir1 Water Garden Aeration Kit, Single Plate

Airmax KoiAir 1 Aeration Kits are flexible and ideal for medium to large sized water gardens and koi ponds between 2,000 and 8,000 gallons. Aeration kits can reduce pond maintenance and improve the health of your fish. Built with an energy efficient dual diaphragm 17-watt compressor, KoiAir 1 Aeration Kit provides maximum circulation and oxygen with 0.80CFM airflow. Kit includes a single diffuser plate with two Teflon maintenance free diffuser sticks, 25 feet of 3/8” weighted airline and a 6’ power cord. Maximum airline and diffuser plate depth is 4 feet. Monthly operating cost is $0.85.

51m270itbXL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That looks great @RobAmy and looks easy to maintain.

@j.w , I cleaned mine when I did winter prep. There is a plug that allows you to remove the gravel and air dry. I let the algae on the membrane dry, then scraped it off. I agree the weighted tubing is pricey, but it came in a kit with my Matala air pump and I love it. I used the thin aquarium stuff over the winter for the smaller air pump.

I forgot to mention, when I originally bought the kit, it came with rubber membrane "wand" like diffusers. They did not hold up and I replaced them twice, so was looking for a sturdier diffuser.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm adding these to my "check these out" list - they look so much better than my puny little air stones. Weighted tubing is definitely in my future. Trying to keep the other stuff submerged got old a long time ago! Even keeping the air stones right side up is a pain - they constantly want to flip to the bubbling side down. One pond guy told me how he uses washers and wire and rocks to weight the dang things down - really? What if they just made them heavier on the bottom to begin with? I mean, I can drop a piece of buttered toast on the floor and it ALWAYS lands buttered side down! :LOL:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks @Tula for that info and I'll clean mine that way too. No bleach!

@Lisak1 I used stainless steel nuts on my lines. Sometimes a pain as if the tubing gets pulled off the stones the nuts are now on the bottom of the pond! The tubing would still float too and wander as I guess I needed more nuts. Not dealing w/that anymore when this new one arrives! I'm not getting the sinking tubing unless I really need it in the future and I can find it by the foot instead of a big roll. I have a black garden hose I can cut and use that will prolly fit the connection to the diffuser and w/the gravel in there I hope it stays put.

Ask a Question