sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Everything causes evaporation .Plants, water filters and streams and spitters .Water movement in general causes evaporation .You can put a bucket of water outside and sun and wind will cause evaporation in it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
Everything causes evaporation .Plants, water filters and streams and spitters .Water movement in general causes evaporation .You can put a bucket of water outside and sun and wind will cause evaporation in it .
What I am getting at I would like to slow it down I am toping of my pond every 3 days I may shut the air pump off to see if it makes a change

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess you have to balance the benefits of aeration to your pond with the water you may save.

As you said, experiment with it and see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You should not get that much evaporation ,sounds more like a leak some where.I would turn off the aerator to see if it still drops

I don't know for sure if we know how much evaporation he's getting @sissy - how big is the pond? How sensitive to water level changes is it? Smaller ponds may need to be topped more often, or ponds where the skimmer requires the water level to stay higher. "Topping off" may mean adding a few gallons or a few hundred gallons, depending on the pond size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
You should not get that much evaporation ,sounds more like a leak some where.I would turn off the aerator to see if it still drops
I just toped it off and shut off the air I no I should add water once a week I hope it not a leak I use to get the leak in the stream by the water fall those rocks get heaver every year my pond is about 1200 gal.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you see areas around your pond that are wetter than others then that could be a leak or hoses could be leaking .Could be your stream or waterfall area also .Since like said we don't really know how much water is being lost or what your pond is really like it is hard to say .I am distracted here as I am watching a woodpecker in a tree ,noisy little guy pecking away

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree it sounds more like a leak. You are not that far from me as far as weather goes. I am in RI and I do not have to add water every 3 days and I have a fairly large surface area and stream. During the very hot months or a stretch of high winds then I will need to add some. Even then it may be a 1" to 2" down nothing to crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i lose 1 inch in 2 to 3 days
also turn off waterfall while keeping aeration on , usually its waterfall leaking or soil in contact with water , if u have splashing waterfall and long stream , large surface area then it increases evaporation , aeration can do little but not that much effect and u can decrease it by some tweaking that water do not splash when bubbles come up have some cap or plastic bag over there any think of any thing , as sisy pointed out , search for areas that are always wet , check all edges if any corner is down or water in contact with soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
i lose 1 inch in 2 to 3 days
also turn off waterfall while keeping aeration on , usually its waterfall leaking or soil in contact with water , if u have splashing waterfall and long stream , large surface area then it increases evaporation , aeration can do little but not that much effect and u can decrease it by some tweaking that water do not splash when bubbles come up have some cap or plastic bag over there any think of any thing , as sisy pointed out , search for areas that are always wet , check all edges if any corner is down or water in contact with soil
I top off pond shut off waterfall did not lose and inch it was a small leak around the gasket in my savio water fall filter easy fix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads