Alabama Koi Pond Progress

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that ph is fine for koi... throw in a old nylon stocking full of crushed oyster shells and it should lock your ph there. put it in a well circulateing area so the water flows thru and around it.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
that ph is fine for koi... throw in a old nylon stocking full of crushed oyster shells and it should lock your ph there. put it in a well circulateing area so the water flows thru and around it.

What about in my waterfall? under all those rocks is a preform liner, i use for the waterfall, think that spot would be good?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as long as there is a good flow of water thru the crushed oyster shells ...fine
i have them in my filter, my ph has not fluctuated from 7.4 in 10 months.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Nice, i'll definately look into doing that. I have some questions about when i should introduce koi to my pond. i'm just not too sure when to do it.

So far, PH is good, is there anything else i should test? 2 small goldfish isn't going to give any ammonia reading i wouldn't think after a day. PL gel is coming in a few days, have food already, plants are gonna be introduced tomorrow evening. water has set still for 3-4 days and running pump for 3-4 days, so should i worry to dechlorinate? i went ahead and did a small treatment of dechlor, because it removes some other stuff too, and i didnt see it causes harm to throw it in. 2 small goldfish are pretty lively in it, made it through the night. they are shy, and hiding under rocks, but they are eating and swimming around when we're not out there.

Any more info needed to determine good time to order koi?

Also i know you use pl gel, or know alot about it koiguy, i only got an 8 ounce bottle, can you give me some type of details on applying it? im sure it has instructions on it, but i'd like to get some info from someone personally who has used it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if its been a week dont worry about dechlorinating and if your gelling your filter, put in a few fish the same day. the bacteria will need to eat too! the pl gel is fantastic. it will colonize and build its numbers rather quickly. i can only say, i had 15 4" / 5" koi in my pond in about as many days. and it was only 450 gals at that time. when they went in the basement pond last fall (500 gals) i had 35 to 40... still do and they are all happy healthy,and social. not that im recomending overstocking your pond. they are mostly 10" and up now. and i promised a friend some for his pond if he gets it done. i'll take it down to 20 or 25.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
ok so the day i introduce the fish, is a good day to put the gel in the filter?

gonna be about 10 4-5" koi

in other words, i need some pl gel and fish and pond would be ok right now?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
exactly!!! make sure you follow the directions on bottle. if your media is in your filter, and your running it ..take it out and let it dry beforte usung the gel.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
BlakeA said:
LOL, is that a red neck joke? I was wondering how long it would be until someone took in the recognition of me living in alabama.

Have you ever watched Deliverance with Burt Reynolds?

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Have you ever watched Deliverance with Burt Reynolds?

LMAO, sadly no, everyone says it's a disgrace for me not seeing the movie and living in alabama, i hear it's pretty "southern"

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
c2c7390 said:
looks good...i wish i could do a pond inground

The digging was the worst part, lol. It was too small to call for a tractor, but it was big enough to give me a few back pains, and caluses.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
I'm gonna drown you in a few pics, then i'll tell about them and/or ask a few questions, lol.

Koi002.jpg

Koi004.jpg

Koi005.jpg

Koi007.jpg

The first pic, is of when i first received the 10 koi from flkoi.com.
After that, me feeding them early one morning, they're already trained, (although its obvious to them) but i come up and knock on one of the stepping stones, and they pop up ready to eat, at this time, they'll nibble on my finger, and rub against my hand, then i'll feed them. One thing i'm curious about, they'll take a few bites, then run to the bottom, then after a minute or so, after i back away, they'll come up and finish it off, is this simply cuz they're scared of me? and see me after that first bite?

I'm very sorry for the blurry pics due to the water color, but this is my main question, is what do i do about this? I have tried a multitude of things, while trying to not harm the fish. The best thing i found, and i can't recall the name, but it said on the bottle, it clumped up the algae, then the filter would pick it up, and it did exactly that, but my small filter glogged so abd the next day, i didn't realize it, and i believe the effect of the stuff had warn off by the time i cleaned the pump and filter.

Would my larger 55 gallon drum filter, filld with skippy pads help this water to the point i might not have to add any chemicals? I heard somewhere that it might.

All being said, and again sorry for the poor images, but i now have 12 koi, and 2 goldfish thriving in this pond i dug by hand, and built with my own hard earned money, for over a month now and if it weren't for the people in this forum, i don't think it would have been possible, if so, with alot more hassle. So thank you very much.

~Blake

Ask a Question