Alabama Koi Pond Progress

Reaction score
Blake how is your water ? Mine is still green looks like pea soup lol. I know with new ponds you have to deal with what they call new pond syndrome but also the yearly algae bloom. Be careful if you add algae killer it eats up oxygen from your water and has been known to wipe out peoples stock.I use koi clay but until I get my filter upgraded I am still going to have the problem exp. with the size koi I have.I do lots of water changes which in return makes them spawn again trashing my water quality.There is a place on 280 that sells Jap. imports just if you add more I would qt them with all the diseases they carry. Also once they get big enough your koi can cross breed with the goldfish which in return can make very ugly fish.I will have plenty of babies before long as well as my neighbor.Also Curry High schools Agg. department have koi they have sold the past couple of years I think they are like 10 each but you take your own container.My neighbor has bought there the past two years.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
luvmyasagis said:
Blake how is your water ? Mine is still green looks like pea soup lol. I know with new ponds you have to deal with what they call new pond syndrome but also the yearly algae bloom. Be careful if you add algae killer it eats up oxygen from your water and has been known to wipe out peoples stock.I use koi clay but until I get my filter upgraded I am still going to have the problem exp. with the size koi I have.I do lots of water changes which in return makes them spawn again trashing my water quality.There is a place on 280 that sells Jap. imports just if you add more I would qt them with all the diseases they carry. Also once they get big enough your koi can cross breed with the goldfish which in return can make very ugly fish.I will have plenty of babies before long as well as my neighbor.Also Curry High schools Agg. department have koi they have sold the past couple of years I think they are like 10 each but you take your own container.My neighbor has bought there the past two years.

My water is horribly green, and i've decided my filter is just way too small, because i am having to clean it out every 2-3 days because the waterfall turns to a trickle. But i should have the large 55 gallon drum filter done in the next few days. As for the algae killer, i have been very cautious to what i added, and would underdose it, but i have stopped using anything for now. Thank you for confirming the crossbreeding with the goldfish and koi. I thought about it, but figured it to be impossible. We're actually getting ready to go buy a small aquarium right now, lol. I noticed you said you have watergardens for plants and flowers, we have had alot of trouble getting anything to go in our pond. Supposedly, lowe's walmart, places like that are not getting them in this year, because of some law for fear of them taking over rivers or something of the sort. If you have anything you wouldn't midn selling, or if you know a place where i could get some, i'd appreciate it.

~Blake

Reaction score
I have waterlilies, water iris and a few others I would give to you If you want them. I will try and find pictures of the crossbreeds to show you.I also have some koi clay I will give you. Mine is bad green as well not the correct filter for me either lol.Got the stuff just have not built it yet. But at any rate you are welcome to plants if you want them.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
luvmyasagis said:
I have waterlilies, water iris and a few others I would give to you If you want them. I will try and find pictures of the crossbreeds to show you.I also have some koi clay I will give you. Mine is bad green as well not the correct filter for me either lol.Got the stuff just have not built it yet. But at any rate you are welcome to plants if you want them.

That would be great, I would love some plants. If you'd be comfortable with me and my fiance coming over there to get them, we could arrange that. I'd also love to see your fish.

Reaction score
That would be fine and I am just off 78 in Jasper. I will shoot you a pm with my number. I will divide them up in the morning and you can let me know when you wanna come by.

Reaction score
It was great meeting you two today, just give me a shout when you get ready for the koi. We can keep them in the big pond till you get ready and as soon as I breed tose asagis you can have some of those.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Well, i came home about 2 nights ago, and my fountain was pouring really slow and sloppy, and my waterfall was almost completely stopped. So i quickly cleaned the built in media of the pump, and most of the media in my filter. After i connected everything it was running perfect, like day 1. Today i come outside, and i can see the bottom of my whole plant shelf, and my waterfall reservoir is completely clear, and it honestly looks better now than it did this morning. So i think that my filter upgrade will do the trick for clear water.

Also, question about cleaning my filter. I know it's not required and good if you dont have to, but i really have to right now, my filter being so small, but should i be cautious about cleaning it too well, and getting rid of the beneficial bacteria built up in it?

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
luvmyasagis said:
It was great meeting you two today, just give me a shout when you get ready for the koi. We can keep them in the big pond till you get ready and as soon as I breed tose asagis you can have some of those.

We should be able to come any day you feel like it. I didn't realize any of them were ready. But yea, just let us know, and we'll come up with a time or day.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just rinse out what you have to ,,, buckets of pond water poured thru do well.

Reaction score
Blake I will have to catch them, not done to much had a death in the family so I have been in Ga. a few days but you just let me know and I can catch them. They are here when ever you get ready no rush on my part not gonna be an easy task to catch lol.The newest ones are still on bottom they are not big enough yet to come out of hiding.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about the death, and hope all is going well now. As for the fish, it's going to be a while now before I can get them. We recently went to gulf shores for 3 days with my fiance's family, and when we returned my old roommate destroyed our room and locked our cats in our room for a majority of the 3 days, so you can imagine how it was. So we moved out that night.

But just a few days ago, my old roommate called me and told me my pump was broke, the driveshaft that spun the propeller had snapped, and I didn't have a backup pump, so I had to quickly drain the pond by hand with buckets and take them to a guy I met in pinson.

Right now im living in a house with my cousin, which I partly own, and I may even buy him out in the near future, so I feel a lot better about starting a pond here, he's also interested in it so if he keeps the house then they should be fine.

I plan to do a lot better this time, backup pump for starts lol, and when it comes time to build I will be back in this forum again. Just right now I gotta find a job before anything.

Thanks again everyone,
Blake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Just read this entire thread, so glad to find some other Alabama pond keepers.

I am just starting so hope you all can guide me through the process.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just read this entire thread, so glad to find some other Alabama pond keepers.

I am just starting so hope you all can guide me through the process.
2009 thread, I don't think they are around anymore.

Ask a Question