Algae--A Specific Rant

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep. gonna beat on that dead horse some more, but not how it relates to Garden Ponds. This is on a much larger scale and its effect on people and the environment. In particular, what is going on in the State that I call home...Florida.

For the past couple of decades, areas of Central Florida have experienced increasing problems with algae blooms clogging the public waterways. This year has been exceptionally bad. It has caused property values to plummet, tourism to tank and in some cases affected the health of the nearby residents.
These algae blooms are caused by the exact same culprits as in Garden Ponds.....excess Nitrate and Phosphorus. These excess nutrients are the result of poor management by Big Ag and Live stock production.
Has the State of Florida,taken any corrective action. Well yes, if you want to count blaming the Army Corps of Engineers for mishandling the water flow in this area which includes Lake Okeechobee and its inflow and outflow waterways and ultimately the Florida Everglades.
As is typical with some political mindsets, when Big Business is involved, ignore the science in favor of the bottom line. Our Governor claims that pollution is not the real cause.
I have posted only a few photos of what people in this area are dealing with TODAY.
20160708_met_lake_o_flyover_jrf_025.jpg
algae5capecoral.jpg

Attachments

• algae6stjohns.jpg
    algae6stjohns.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 247
  • algae7stlucieriver.jpg
    algae7stlucieriver.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 228
  • lake-okeechobee.jpg
    lake-okeechobee.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 211
  • lake okee.JPG
    lake okee.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 215
  • st lucie river.jpg
    st lucie river.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 219
  • algae3staug..jpg
    algae3staug..jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not just Florida, we just had our water rights shut down until the blue green algae is gone. We use irrigation water from the Utah Lake that goes into the Jordan River and then canal systems throughout the valley to various people who own water rights. We use this water to water our yard and gardens. The water has never been "clean" but now its "dangerous". Using the water rights to flood our yard we only have to water once a week when its 100 degrees outside. With a sprinkler we have to water every other day to keep things alive and with temps only getting down into the 80's at night most of the water form the sprinklers just evaporates and is a waste of good drinking water, plus very expensive. But our problems are small beans compared to the local farmers who have had their only water source cut off in the middle of July with 100 degree days. They will loose their entire crops in less than a week.

Here is the article about our local B/G algae problem :(
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40706853&nid=148

And here are a couple of pictures I took this morning of the feeder canal that runs through our backyard. This was taken right after the Water Quality folks shut it off. It's dry now.

DSCN9911.JPG
DSCN9912.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Eyoww Gross! I'm in Michigan and I'm seeing the same thing, but not as bad on our inland waters and my pond is pea soup this year; could be this is just a bad year for algae. I'm not positive but it seems like every time we transition from an El Nino to a La Nina we have a bad algae year. My above water plants seem unusually luscious this year too.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, water shortages are an ever present issue in most of the Western states. In parts of Central Florida, they are also experiencing cyanbacteria blooms (Blue-green algae) which often are toxic. These blooms are literally occurring in what is many peoples back yards. Yet the polticos in power refuse to recognize that big business is true source of the problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes, water shortages are an ever present issue in most of the Western states. In parts of Central Florida, they are also experiencing cyanbacteria blooms (Blue-green algae) which often are toxic. These blooms are literally occurring in what is many peoples back yards. Yet the polticos in power refuse to recognize that big business is true source of the problem.

I began reading about it since it has a direct affect on the food we grow in our garden and was amazed by how little is known. Boiling the water does not make it safe it only concentrates the harmful toxins. There is no filtration system they know of that filters the blue/green algae toxins and they have no idea what type of health impact it has on food grown using water tainted with blue/green algae.

Initially I thought "wait, how do they know so little with so much science out there today". Then I realized because no one will fund studying of blue/green algae since the culprits are big AG and if someone figured out just how bad it is for us they may have to answer for what they have done. So it's just radio silence across the board.

In other news Michael Burry (who by researching the patterns and numbers saw the 2008 housing crash coming in 2005, was the first to short the housing market when everyone else was calling him crazy and made millions by doing so) has gotten out of managing funds all together and is now only investing in water. That should should speak volumes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Eyoww Gross! I'm in Michigan and I'm seeing the same thing, but not as bad on our inland waters and my pond is pea soup this year; could be this is just a bad year for algae. I'm not positive but it seems like every time we transition from an El Nino to a La Nina we have a bad algae year. My above water plants seem unusually luscious this year too.

This specific blue/green algae is much different than what we normally see in our ponds which is harmless. Local animals are dieing from drinking this water and fish cannot survive in it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is positively terrifying, no living thing can survive without healthy water. I've been disgusted by media reports in FL and know people, who've canceled vacations due to the algae.

Wow, on Michael Burry.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Interesting photos Meyer. Lake Erie is having its problems too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We keep our boat on the St Lucie canal, in Indiantown. About half way between Stuart and Lake Okeechobee. Spent a month on it in March. I love that area, and was very saddened to see this happen.

Ask a Question