Algae and Horses and Koi, oh my!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I come to you guys for help as my Google-foo has failed me. I have a 300 gal horse tank for my 2 horses' water. It is a Faaabulous algae grower, and to stop having to drain the tank and scrub it all. the. time., I decided to drop a few comets in it. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden I'm buying bubblers, and pumps, and a spillway, and filters, and even a future water lily soon for the 2 Wakin goldfish and one koi (all 3 about 7") that I ended up with. And 3 plecos that I never see.

And we still have algae,...

I have a 55 gal rubber tank inside the 300 gal tank, pushed against the back wall and filled with a few cinderblocks for the fish to hide in. Which they don't. They are lucky an otter or heron hasn't found them. The horses drink between 8 to 16 gallons a day each, and the level is kept constant via an automatic float. The water is deep well, and comes through a water softener before getting to the tank. One mare sticks her big ol foot in there and has a grand time splashing and pawing on occasion. So, horse poop and sand is occasionally introduced. I'm about to lay something across the back half to protect the plants and such. And add a little shade. At least the fish are fast. The tank sits in direct Central Florida sun.

What algaecide can I add that is safe for fish, plants AND horses? Horses are basically one big gas bag from elbow to anus that contains a lot of cellulous digesting enzymes and bacteria. For example, they can drink city water, but too much bleach and it gets ugly. There are probiotics one can give them if they develop the trots, (HA! See what I did there?) But I prefer to not have to fight with them. They are big BIG babies about taking their meds, and I usually end up wearing half of it, and the kelpie ignores me for days.

I'm thinking about something barley and something like API Pond Microbial Algae Clean. I'm also considering sub surface plants, but that will have to go under the protected side. I appreciate all tips and advice. I could keep researching, (and will,) but I'm impatient, and you guys know so much! Thank you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Love your how you got into a pond post!

Algae actually says you have too many nutrients feeding the fish, too many fish, horse drooling as they drink . And BTW that koi will need to go bye bye it will get WAY to big for a 300 gallon container.

Since you have gone this far, build a small bog (pea gravel, plants, filter bog) let it help filter your water. It will help keep your water really nice. The add on stuff is junk, usually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is almost exactly how I started down the road to a 6,000 gallon pond several years ago. Only I didn't have an algae problem, but a mosquito larvae issue in the water trough.

Algaecides have been known to kill fish so you probably want to steer clear of those. The fewer chemicals you can add, the better for all your creatures.

As Addy stated, that koi will very quickly outgrow your tank. Also the plecos are not compatible with goldfish. They will do fine for a while but then will start attacking the fish, and only at night when no one is watching. They suck the slime coat off the fish, causing injuries and leaving them more susceptible to infections and parasites.

It really would be better for the fish if they had their own living quarters. Mine didn't stay long in the horse's trough. I quickly realized it was not ideal. I moved them into their own water trough where I could provide a better situation for them, and give them some shade. And plants could grow without being pulled up by curious horses.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1644522746402.gif
@Chiere

Ask a Question