Algae below waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have a small 600 gallon pond/waterfall with goldfish. After modifying it (adding depth & vertical sides to keep out the raccoons), we refilled it and also added lots of plants. I expected the granite rocks lining the pond (with a rubber liner underneath) to gather some moss/algae. Now that it's summer in the mountains of AZ I notice a thick patch of algae accumulating on the bottom of the pond (3' deep) beneath the waterfall. And the filter pad needs to be cleaned daily to prevent cloudy water. Any idea what's causing this? I don't want it to get out of control and take over the entire pond. Water is clear, plants doing well, fish are happy. I don't use any kind of water treatments.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd say that's a healthy sign actually.

Do you have a good number of plants in the pond? Fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What was it that killed algae on a waterfall peroxide was it ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
What was it that killed algae on a waterfall peroxide was it ?
Yes, I also have string algae forming on the waterfall - don't want that in my pond. My goldfish aren't big enough to eat it all. I'll once again check out peroxide - always try to keep 'chemicals' out of the water but sometimes need to resort to that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I'd say that's a healthy sign actually.

Do you have a good number of plants in the pond? Fish?
Lots of new plants that are thriving. 11 one and two year old goldfish. The algae is attached to the rocks and spreading. I don't want it to get tall and take over the pond -- I'll continue to watch it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't imagine it would grow tall if it's actually algae. Can you get a picture of it by any chance?

Ask a Question