Algae "blooms" each day I would like to knock it out!

Reaction score
This is the 4th year since our pond was set up and for some reason this year I have had a rough time with algae. I have had the bright green string algae that I can keep under control with OxyLift defense, but this year I have a dark green colored "algae" that has covered the bottom and sides. When it is very sunny and hot, it floats to the surface and get sucked into the skimmer. Every day I need to clean out the collection net and hand skim. I have tried to vacuum it up, but it just comes back. Also added additional aeration. Fish do not seem to eat it and I have some Chinese snails at work and a high fin shark. I don't overfeed (maybe 2X a week) I have more plants and less large fish than previous years, but I would like to just knock it out if I can without hurting the koi. I do have UV as well, not sure why this year it's gotten so bad. I am near Atlanta, GA if that helps. Would love some suggestions, sorry if this has been asked before, but didn't see anything that resembled my "dark green" algae.

Attachments

• IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 318

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@midngn Hi. Can you give us more information about your pond?
  • Size (gallons, dimensions)
  • Total number and type of fish, and approximate sizes
  • Type of filtration
  • Other than Oxylift Defense, do you add anything else to your water
  • How often do you feed
  • Is your pond in full sun, or is there shade
  • Do you have any plants in the pond
OK, just saw where you don’t feed often and have plants and less fish than usual.

Reaction score
About 2600 gal. About a dozen koi and goldfish. 3-4 no bigger than 10" the rest are 5-6" long. I had 2 larger koi but lost them over the winter as well as a high fin shark. Still have 1 High Fin Shark maybe 5" long (supposed to just eat algae). There are some minnows which breed constantly but most are under an inch. I cull them as needed. I do have 5 wild "chubs" these were small at one point but are now about 5" long. I have a bio skimmer, UV and waterfall filtration 5 layers or filter material. Plants are in the waterfall, in the water, shelves, oxygenating plants tied to fishing line suspended in spots around pond. Pond is mostly in shade, but gets afternoon sun. I use Microbe lift added every filter cleaning, about every 10 days. I use Oxylift to control string algae on the stream and waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@midngn - here's my usual algae advice: be aware of why it's there and then be glad it's there. It's there because you have excess nutrients in your pond - either fish food, fish waste, or organic material is feeding the algae growth. And at the same time, the algae is keeping your water safe for your fish by consuming those nutrients.

One thing I would suggest - stop using chemicals and additives of any kind in your pond. Every time you kill algae with a chemical you end up with, you guessed it, dead algae in your pond. Which only feeds more algae.

I'm curious if you know what caused the loss of your other fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The solution sounds simple. Please don't take offense.
There are too many fish and not enough mechanical filtration that removes accumulated detritus.
Stop adding chemicals and using the UV, they only help with appearance.
Microbe lift accomplishes nothing in a mature pond, it just adds more organic material that needs to be processed by the biofilter.
Increase water circulation and mechanical filtration, reduce the number of fish by at least 50% if possible.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Agree koi are big waste producers and need lots of oxygen .You are way over stocked and koi get huge .Over feeding fish makes you happy but not them .They will eat everything in the pond if not fed .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I'm not too far from you, in Waleska. I too have been somewhat plagued by the floating algae moreso this year that in the past. The fish pick at it, but the only thing that really eats it is the skimmer. Which I have to clean almost daily. That said, as long as the water is pretty clear, and the fish don't have problems. I'll let nature take it's course. The worst part of it (to me) is it gathers up around the lily pads, and looks bad. But even the lilies don't seem to mind it.
I think mabe all the rain we've had this past summer has had something to do with it.

Reaction score
All the above solutions are sound advise. The best point is you are overstocked. If you didn't have this problem in years past and are having it now probably your fish have grown. This can be solved by either installing a much larger filtration system which is expensive or cut down on your fish which costs nothing. One thing I can suggest to control algae is montmorillonite clay.It's a 100% natural additive, the fish love it, and it can be very effective in controlling algae. When I get green water or too much string algae in the spring, I simply throw in a double dose of clay every three days or so and it clears up naturally. To maintain and enhance my water quality I treat my water with a normal dose (one tbsp per thousand gallons) once each week and I rarely have a water problem and hardly ever have to turn on my UV lights. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Bluerooster is having a similar issue, I have less fish than before and did not have this issue until this year. So I do think it easy to say I am overstocked, but had nice clear water in the past. I added more plants this year. The local pond shop thinks it is due to all the rain we have had, he agrees with many of you, just leave it alone, stay on top of it skimming it out. Of course they wanted me to add more filtration ($$$$) Not sure what killed the bigger fish, but this happened prior to my algae issues and equates to less fish than in previous years. It was sad that it was my 2 biggest and friendliest fish. Never heard about the montmorillonite, has any one else tried this out? Thanks for all the help.

Ask a Question