Algae build up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly apologies for yet another algae post on this forum. In my case I've struggled with it for about 5 years and have yet to find a good solution.

Here's a picture of my pond and the waterfall Pond

It's about a 1000 litre pond with 8 Shubunkin fish, for which I use a Hozelock Easyclear 7500 all in one pump.

Each year I put oxygenating plants in it and it has lily pads to provide some shade, but still I keep getting algae.
The only thing that works for a couple of weeks is Tetra Pond AlgoRem Green Water Treatment.

So... what do people recommend I try next? Should I try more oxygenating plants? If so what do people recommend and how many should I put in for my size pond?

The other issue is algae building up on the waterfall, which comes back just a couple of days following a full clean.
The pond pump is set to both fountain and waterfall so there's always water movement.

There are days where I just want to fill in the pond and sell the fish, but I'm willing to try other things to try and solve my algae problem.
Hope you can help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You need a bog to consume your nitrates/nitrites/ammonia, else algae will consume them and grow. It doesnt even need to be so big.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need a bog to consume your nitrates/nitrites/ammonia, else algae will consume them and grow. It doesnt even need to be so big.
Thanks for the reply - can you point me to a page which shows what a bog looks like and how I can do it for the pre formed pond that I have?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't see a problem, i see a pond where the owner wants to see a pool, and not a pond . though the picture is not really clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see a problem, i see a pond where the owner wants to see a pool, and not a pond . though the picture is not really clear
I just want it to be manageable, and thought the all in one pump should help keep the water clear.

My feeling is that it needs more oxygenating plants, but would like to know which ones to use and how many for the size of pond I have. Although not sure what oxygenating plants will stay put in the waterfall...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Theres no plants at all in there that i can see ..... ifv you want as clear and little algae as possible go with water cress but you'll be constantly be pulling it out in handfuls

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These small ponds can be can be more difficult to keep balanced. And for a small pond, you have a lot of fish. More plants would definitely help. Floating plants, plants in pots, plants in a bog container... all would help.

Is the net for leaves or predators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These small ponds can be can be more difficult to keep balanced. And for a small pond, you have a lot of fish. More plants would definitely help. Floating plants, plants in pots, plants in a bog container... all would help.

Is the net for leaves or predators?
The net is there to stop a local Heron from getting the fish - a few years ago it took all my fish, so I ended up placing a net over the pond which has stopped it ever since.

There are floating water lilies which haven't come out yet and a lily plant in the pond

@GBBUDD I like the idea of watercress, especially if I could put them in pots to sit in the tiers of the waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants in pots are far less effective than plants with their roots in the water. Unfortunately with your net that close to the surface, it's going to be hard to grow anything in the pond that has any kind of height. Lilies require a lot of food, but they aren't great at removing nutrients from a pond so they don't do much to control algae.

Watercress is great, but I'm afraid it would overwhelm your small waterfall quickly. Maybe try some around the perimeter of the pond. You could build up an area on a shelf with some rock and gravel and tuck some between the rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do I see a planting area around the inside rim of the pond? If so, you can fill it with clean gravel and plant bog/marginal plants in it. They will compete with the algae for nutrients, and will look nice too. You can also add a uv light to your pump to help temporarily while the plants get going, but I only use mine if the water gets pea soup green. You could also build shade over the pond until your plants can provide some cover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oops, I see that your pump already has a uv light. If you’re still getting green water, maybe the bulb needs to be replaced. Also, be sure to frequently clean the dead algae out of the filter. If you’re just getting green fur on surfaces, but the water is clear, then I would leave it alone and not worry about it, just add plants, as others have said.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ozponds on YouTube has some great videos about bog filters, aka wetland filtration. Team Aquascape and Ed the Pond Professor do too. I would suggest watching some of those videos to get some idea of the concepts. There are several different ways to accomplish what you want to do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koi clay clarify's the water and binds to algae and deprives it of oxygen and adds minerals t your pond for the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Also, think twice about adding fertilizer to your pond plants, as it will feed the algae as well. If you have a good balance of fish and plants, you may not need to add extra nitrogen.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some people have made plant pockets using window screen. Hang on the side of the pond with plants in them. Roots in the water no soil.

Ask a Question