Algae cleaning

Reaction score
I have a 350 liter fish pond with a vinyl lining Jeboa filter and Messner pump. I was told after several years it's good to clean the bottom My question is how to clean the algae from the vinyl lining and stones with the least amount of damage to lining or fish after returning everything to place. Is it easier to clean if algae dries first? Any help appreciated.
20211211_133354[1].jpg
20211211_133405[1].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you wanted to simply hand pick off some of the larger areas of algae off the liner, that would probably be OK, but honestly it's best NOT to remove all the bits from all the surfaces. You don't mention what type of fish, or how many, nor how many plants you have in the pond. Lots of plants, few fish (and limited feeding) is the key to keeping undesirable algae under control. (and "undesirable" is totally based on human perceived aesthetics. algae is actually good for a pond, for the most part, especially if you don't have a whole lot of other plants in there) I personally wouldn't worry about that little bit of mossy algae, especially on the gravel!

Reaction score
If you wanted to simply hand pick off some of the larger areas of algae off the liner, that would probably be OK, but honestly it's best NOT to remove all the bits from all the surfaces. You don't mention what type of fish, or how many, nor how many plants you have in the pond. Lots of plants, few fish (and limited feeding) is the key to keeping undesirable algae under control. (and "undesirable" is totally based on human perceived aesthetics. algae is actually good for a pond, for the most part, especially if you don't have a whole lot of other plants in there) I personally wouldn't worry about that little bit of mossy algae, especially on the gravel!
Thanks for responding. At the moment I have 7 goldfish, various types and 3 scavenger fish, possibly catfish. One is quite big. I also have 4 waterlilies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
undesirable" is totally based on human perceived aesthetics.
two thumbs up . pond is not something humans ever would consider a home. but wild ife sure as heck does in actuality, they ALL come to the pond at some point for water, maybe breeding and prey.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what BKH said; that algae on sides and underwater surfaces is your friend. The fish should be routinely eating at it and its existence helps keep your water from fouling. Unless really thick, let it be!

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Spot-on response!
It's not a very good practice to scrub out your pond.
There's a biofilm coating all the surfaces that is an intricate part of the pond's ecosystem. That algae coat is a natural filter and a food supply for the critters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for responding. At the moment I have 7 goldfish, various types and 3 scavenger fish, possibly catfish. One is quite big. I also have 4 waterlilies.
That's actually quite a few fish for such a small volume of water. I'd leave the surface algae alone & let them munch on it.

Also, while water lilies are beautiful & help shade the water surface, they aren't the most efficient plants at using up the excess nutrients which lead to algae growth. Perhaps think about adding some floating plants or create a way to add in some 'hungrier' marginal aquatic plants. (depending on what's available where you live)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1639248278899.gif
@Judy241
Keep the algae that grows on the sides of liner. Good thing, not bad!

Reaction score
I wouldn't scrub out my pond again. I guess I was miss informed. Thanks for the head's up. I previously had an old house bathtub in my garden that I managed to bionaturally keep it's homeostasis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
in Haifa, Israel
Oh, well..... You will probably want to look into some local source of marginal aquatic plants. I'm fairly certain that my western North Carolina, USA, recommendations will be of little use to you in your location. I'm sorry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
in Haifa, Israel
Just made a fast google reasearch, and the israelian's ponds that i found got real papyrus(cyperus papyrus) and fake one(Cyperus alternifolius) than can add for sure iris pseudacorus and both kind of typha(minima and variegata), then add some waterlilies and found an article that speak about Eichhornia crassipes used into a israelian pond to reduce algae e co.....so prolly that one like floating plant is good too

Ask a Question