algae control

Reaction score
Hi,
last year we installed a small pond at the back of our garden, we introduced a handful of goldfish and attracted a lot of local frogs however, soon had a big problem with algae.
Unfortunately i built it in direct line of sunlight. I have put in plants and floating lillies to shade the best part but the algae is very aggressive, it forms in long green slimey strands and becomes string like in the water, the fish get caught up in it and drown if not kept under control, so every couple week or so im having to remove what i can by hand and am cleaning the filter every week.

As the cold is setting in its becoming less frequent as everything begins to hibernate..

is there anything i can add to the water to prevent it that is safe on the wild life? I have drained the pond washed everything and refilled and it came back just as bad.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi,
last year we installed a small pond at the back of our garden, we introduced a handful of goldfish and attracted a lot of local frogs however, soon had a big problem with algae.
Unfortunately i built it in direct line of sunlight. I have put in plants and floating lillies to shade the best part but the algae is very aggressive, it forms in long green slimey strands and becomes string like in the water, the fish get caught up in it and drown if not kept under control, so every couple week or so im having to remove what i can by hand and am cleaning the filter every week.

As the cold is setting in its becoming less frequent as everything begins to hibernate..

is there anything i can add to the water to prevent it that is safe on the wild life? I have drained the pond washed everything and refilled and it came back just as bad.

Filamentous (String) algae problems are usually a result of high Phosphorus levels in the water. Any Phosphorus binder such as PhosOut used correctly will eliminate the problem. It is a completely benign treatment and will not adversely effect any aquatic life including the fish.

Reaction score
Do you have tadpoles in the pond? I always get this problem in my 35gall pond when there are tadpoles in it. They are cute, but they eat a lot and produce ALOT of waste!!!

Thanks for that tip Meyer.

Reaction score
I had the algae problem before the frogs set up home, but yes it did worsen during the time we had tadpoles.
Ive given it a good clean for winter already but ill deffinately go look for some phosout or similar to treat it too.

Then i need to figure out a way to stop the local cats. I really dont want to have to resort to netting over.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Then i need to figure out a way to stop the local cats. I really dont want to have to resort to netting over.

I have had cats around my pond for years and never had a problem. In fact, the cats and the koi became friendly to each other.

Reaction score
I started getting string algae as the air temps dropped over the past month. I assumed the bio filter was dying off and the algae was eating up the ammonia and have left it. My pond is new as am wondering if I should leave some for the fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have had cats around my pond for years and never had a problem. In fact, the cats and the koi became friendly to each other.
Our cats love hanging out by the pond during the summer I've yet to see one cat even look even remotely interested in catching a koi , weve ven seen them nose to nose checking each other out we even leave them together when going into the home for either dinner or teatime's

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have drained the pond washed everything and refilled and it came back just as bad.
That is possibly one of the wrong things to do. Every time you drain it, wash it down, you are starting over with new pond syndrome. The algae on the sides and bottom help balance out the pond.

When I had bad string in my pond in Arizona I used hydrogen peroxide to kill it off. I used 1 liter per 1000 gallons. I would get a bad bloom of it in June. That would cure it until the next June.

Reaction score
That is possibly one of the wrong things to do. Every time you drain it, wash it down, you are starting over with new pond syndrome. The algae on the sides and bottom help balance out the pond.

When I had bad string in my pond in Arizona I used hydrogen peroxide to kill it off. I used 1 liter per 1000 gallons. I would get a bad bloom of it in June. That would cure it until the next June.
I'm get scripits of String Algae now and thinking it is in response to my bio filter dying off from cold weather. I stopped feeding last week and my water number are perfect. Should I leave the SA to help eat up ammonia over winter or get what I can out? My pond is new as of the end of August and was wondering if the fish will want to nibble on it thru winter and early spring before I start feeding again. I'm am hoping once bio and plants are going again the SA will die back next year? Sorry I can't remember if I've asked this question yet.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Leave it alone. It's too late in the season to worry about treating it, IMHO.

Ask a Question