Algae eaters

Reaction score
Hey people this is my frist post :D nice forum :)

Well i was wondering... my pond sides and plants have algae is them... so i'm thinking in getting algae eaters fish... or something... what do you think about it or advice me to buy !?

Thanks
Pedro

Reaction score
Well, algae eaters are also called plecos and they do eat large amounts of algae. However, plecos are tropical fish so your pond should always be some what warm, but not too cold. If it gets cold in the winter, I suggest you bring them inside because they won't survive through cold water. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
thanks for the reply :p
my lowest temp this winter... outside air temp. was 12ºC so is it too cold for the fish !?

thanks
Pedro

Reaction score
That's a pretty decent air temperature for the winter, but what's important is the water temperature and also your pond size. If you have a 1000-5000 gallon pond and the air temp. during the winter is around 10-12 then the water temp. should be around 7-10 and that's pretty good for plecos. But if you have a small pond, then I'd suggest you get an submersible heater for the winter. I don't think you'll need an expensive heater since the air temp. is around 10-12 degrees. A small one should be just fine.

Ask a Question