Algae Eaters?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi,

I'm having some floating algae issues and one thing I'm wondering is if my fish actually eat any of it or if I got a few that do if it would help. Going to try to focus just on the fish for this thread as the algae problem itself I'll be making a different thread ;) (My water is pretty damn clear, it's just floating algae on top that's the issue).

I currently have only Ogon in my pond - it's pretty much full sunlight (I know that's the major issue with the algae growth). I don't want to add too much as I started with just 3 Ogon, they're about 5 years old and around 1.5 ft in length. Now I have those 3 plus about 30 2-3 inch ones from last summer... unplanned!

Are there a specific type of koi or goldfish that would help eat up this algae (Massachusetts for what would survive through winters)? I do have a good amount of snails but it's floating so they can't really help.

Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
over feeding and not testing water cannot be overlooked and cause problems .I just net floating stuff as soon as you see it .Algae is a way to help fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi Fin Banded Shark is the only algae eater that could be added (dojo loaches wont eat the algae)... but to be honest you should not look for a fish to fix your algae issue.. that's a mistake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi Fin Banded Shark is the only algae eater that could be added (dojo loaches wont eat the algae)... but to be honest you should not look for a fish to fix your algae issue.. that's a mistake.
Not looking for them to solve it :)
Do those do well in colder climates like MA?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Adding fish is the last thing that you want to do. You need to eliminate the source(s) of the nutrients that are feeding this algae growth. You don't state the capacity (gallons) of your pond.
As was suggested, net this floating algae and this permanently remove these excess nutrients. An algae eating fish will only re-cycle them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Adding fish is the last thing that you want to do. You need to eliminate the source(s) of the nutrients that are feeding this algae growth. You don't state the capacity (gallons) of your pond.
As was suggested, net this floating algae and this permanently remove these excess nutrients. An algae eating fish will only re-cycle them.
Not looking to eliminate the algae problem with the fish, this thread was more of a once I fix that problem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
The problem is that the problem fix IS removing fish.. I saw the other thread of that many koi in 2000 gallon. You gotta figure out how to cut back to 8 koi. I would consider making a bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The problem is that the problem fix IS removing fish.. I saw the other thread of that many koi in 2000 gallon. You gotta figure out how to cut back to 8 koi. I would consider making a bog.
I'm planning to reduce, as I said before. The amount wasn't planned - I had 3. The 3 were planned, that's it.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm having some floating algae issues and one thing I'm wondering is if my fish actually eat any of it or if I got a few that do if it would help. Going to try to focus just on the fish for this thread as the algae problem itself I'll be making a different thread ;) (My water is pretty damn clear, it's just floating algae on top that's the issue).

I currently have only Ogon in my pond - it's pretty much full sunlight (I know that's the major issue with the algae growth). I don't want to add too much as I started with just 3 Ogon, they're about 5 years old and around 1.5 ft in length. Now I have those 3 plus about 30 2-3 inch ones from last summer... unplanned!

Are there a specific type of koi or goldfish that would help eat up this algae (Massachusetts for what would survive through winters)? I do have a good amount of snails but it's floating so they can't really help.

Thanks!
Let me start from the pure beginning here....
Do you know your water parameters?
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate?
How much do you feed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had same problem other day but just think it's the humidity, temp of water, on Long Island and too much son but now I have my sick 80 Gallon preform gravity waterfall filter running again and the water is getting more clear everyday!!!! I'm glad cause I just bought. A siiiiiiiick allllllll black koi that I love; and I could use some good luck! Actually bought first loach too!!! I have tons of circulation in my preform filter I think it's making an awesome difference

Ask a Question