Algae eating worms....., or something.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
This also happened last year about this time. Note: the weather here in the Northwest is still ten degrees below normal for this time of the year. Up until about a week and a half ago I was battling green algae and string algae in my water fall. I was having to shoot it with the garden hose and then hit it with a scrubbing brush. All of a sudden I noticed that it looked like someone or something had scrubbed my water fall of ALL of the algae that was growing a week before. upon looking real close I noticed these small (for the lack a better way to describe them), thin worm type water slugs about three eights of an inch long. They seem to have come form no where I can explain, and every where they are, there is no algae. Looking into the pond, I have a normal thin carpet of algae all around the walls and bottom of the pond. I can't see any of these worms in my pond, if they are there I would able to see them because they are black and would blend in with the black walls of the pond and dark green algae.

These worms obviously are not or haven't been a threat to my pond or fish. Does anyone have any idea what these critters are and where they come form? I think this is a good thing, and would like to know more about them and how to cultivate their presents in my pond and water fall.

Happy ponding,

Ask a Question